Chips & Peeper & Garden

FISH N' CHIPS 

When Connie came back from her morning walk in the ravine, Jean was leaving for work. She waved Connie over and invited her to come for dinner that evening as Kami and her mothers were coming over.

Connie walked closer to Jean who didn't say anything, but Connie knew she'd noticed her eyes. "You might want to warn Kami about my eyes as sometimes it startles kids."

"That is unusual. I guess I've only seen you with glasses before. Does that affect your vision?"

"No, not at all. I usually wear my grey tints when I go out. Cuts the commentary."

"I get that. My dad had a skin condition that kind of turned him into a recluse. Except for fish and chips on Fridays." Jean grinned. "They always kept a booth for him in the back. That's what Angie's bringing tonight with some special dessert. If you're gonna to live in this neighborhood, you need to eat fish and chips from Duckworth's. They'll come by around 5." She began walking away.

"Is this a special occasion?" Connie called after her.

"It's my birthday. 64." She waved a hand.

Well, that was spontaneously nice. Connie couldn't remember the last time she had fish and chips. Probably some time going into town with her grandparents. Jean's birthday gave her the idea of something to putter on. She had a few partially finished wooden spoons left over from her projects for Findley's personal support staff.

Precisely at 5:00, a car drove up and parked in front of Jean's. Connie took the wrapped spoons and went out the front door. Jean was on her porch with a huge smile. Connie watched as two women, a little older than her, carrying bags, got out of the car with a four-year-old Kami. Jean introduced everyone.

Kami looked up at Connie, "Are you the one with two funny eyes?"

Angie spoke down to the little girl, "Kami, what did I tell you?"

Connie smiled, "It's okay. Do you want to see, Kami? It's kind of special." Kami nodded. She walked close to her, bent down, and took off her glasses. "Pretty cool, huh? My grandparents had a dog once who had two different eyes like mine. A husky. He was pretty cool too. I have a picture of him I can show you some day. Would you like that?"

Kami nodded and looked up at Angie. "She's pretty, like Snow White."

Angie said, "Last night's bedtime story. I'm sorry Connie. I told her not to make a fuss."

"It's totally fine. And Snow White's probably the nicest compliment I've ever had!"

Looking at the friendly faces of the women and the attentive little girl, Connie relaxed and looked forward to the evening's activities and getting to know Jean and her family.

After fish and chips, Nicole and Kami went into the kitchen and shortly came out singing Happy Birthday with a beautiful candlelit cake that Nicole had made. Kami helped Jean blow out the candles and carefully monitored the distribution of cake and ice cream, ensuring equal portions for everyone.

They all oohed and aahed when they found out Connie made the wooden spoons she gave Jean.

Jean said, "These are beautiful. This is too much."

Nicole asked, "Do you ever make any to sell?"

"No, I haven't. Though, just today, I was thinking about maybe someday setting up a table at a craft show. I like messing around on little projects and there are only so many wooden spoons I can use myself."

THE PEEPER 

The recent activities across the street disrupted Peter's dedication to his daily routines. He finally moved a laptop to the table upstairs so he could work and still keep an eye on what was going on. After so many years with no change in the little piece of neighborhood he could track from the bay window, he now found himself sitting there drinking endless cups of tea, binoculars at hand.