Parlay

When Pria reached Eneko, he was pacing. Connie lay stretched out on the ground doing deep breathing. She sat up when she saw Pria. "Where's Peter? You look exhausted. Is everything all right?"

"It's fine. Peter decided to stay with Olan. She's not feeling well. I think she'll be okay. To be honest, I think he's overwhelmed by the thought of you leaving."

"Oh," said Connie, gazing down, puzzled. "But I guess if Olan's not well. And he did make kind of a goodbye speech when he left. You know, he's planning on living with Olan. I like knowing that he has a home..." She trailed off, then looked up. "Arden, what did he have to say?"

"He's very sad, upset, angry about the plans. It was good it was me and not Eneko that spoke with him. He gave me the information I need for Eneko. I should go tell him."

"What is it?"

"It's hard to explain, but it will help what you're planning on doing." Pria turned and went over to Eneko, and they huddled in quiet conversation.

Connie decided to walk around the meadow. Deep breathing was no longer working. It just felt wrong that Peter didn't come back to say goodbye, even if Olan wasn't feeling well. There would be others to look after her. And Pria. That felt off too. Why the big secret about the information from Arden?

As she traipsed around, Milo came running up. "Come. Eneko wants to start the parlay."

Eneko stood in the forest, near the passage enclosure, waiting for Connie. He beckoned, draped an arm around her, and gave her a smile, "Okay, little sister. It's show time for us." He handed her a piece of paper. "Put this in your shoe and don't look at it until you're on the other side. You're my hero, you know. I'm sorry about..."

"Don't do that again. I'll start blubbering. But know how glad I am that you're my brother."

He stepped out of the forest, cupped his hands around his mouth and bellowed, "I want to parlay with Rennish."

Connie held her breath. Guns pointed at Eneko. One of the mercenaries disappeared. Several minutes later he returned and shouted down. "Go to the Squares. They'll talk to you there."

Eneko nodded to them, "All right. I'll go there now." He walked toward Connie and muttered, "This is not good. I thought they'd let us in the enclosure."

"We'll figure something out. We can't pull back now."

When they were still well away from the Squares, Connie and Eneko said their good-byes to Zatch, Milo, and Pria.

Though the outcome was far from certain, all of them spoke as if the endeavour would be a success. They also did not acknowledge, that even with success, a dire fate would likely await Eneko and Connie when each backed out on either side of the passage into a group of heavily armed people.

Connie told them, "When I get to Rennish, I'm going to act like I don't like it here in Dahria so I can't say good-bye for long or I'll start crying and my expression will be all wrong. But I'll never forget you or Dahria."

Pria and Milo held Eneko in a small circle. He shook them off, "We...I can't do this, or I'll lose my nerve."

Zatch asked, "How long do we wait?"

"If you hear nothing within two days, you know what to do. You know if this does work, it will end it. The Rivening. Generations from now will probably think of Earthside as a myth."