First Talk

Mid-morning, next day, Connie went to make a tea and was startled to see the gate in the fence standing wide open. It hadn't been earlier.

She thought they had an understanding. Was it Eneko? Did he now think he could wander in whenever he wanted? Whoever it was, she didn't like it.

She strode to the fence opening ready to have a few words. An older man she didn't recognize was seated under the oak tree in the neighbours' yard. She guessed it was the man she'd seen from behind yesterday, hanging onto Milo and Eneko in the ravine.

A total stranger had brazenly opened the gate. She barked at him, "Who are..." He turned to her and stood up out of the chair, grabbing onto the back for support. She stared, stunned at him.

"Connie, child." And his words were swallowed by his emotions.

She stammered. "No, no. This can't be. Why are you here?" Then fell to her knees and covered her face. Shaking her head, "If you're who I think you are, you can't just waltz into my life like this."

Looking up, she saw that his eyes, one blue and one brown, were brimming with tears. She saw too, her tall, lanky shape reflected in him. "Why are you here now? Why didn't you come back before? Why did you leave her? You know she's dead." She spat out her accusations as she got to her feet.

He held out his hand, "My dearest. I know Ida is gone. I can't believe I'm seeing you." He paused. "You're as beautiful as she was."

"I'm nothing like her. How well did you even know her?"

Strangely then he laughed. "You sound just like her, child."

"Stop. Stop this. Don't call me child. You're a bit late." She spoke bitterly.

"I understand. Connie. Please, let's sit. Let's talk a little." He spoke so kindly and carefully, Connie calmed herself and took a seat on one of her benches. He continued, "There's so much to explain. I only found out about you recently. I came as soon as we could make arrangements. Seeing you, talking to you now, it's a beautiful miracle."

"Oh yeah? Well, please don't think I'm going to jump in and call you father or dad or anything. I don't know you."

"Of course not. Call me Arden."

"Right. Arden. That's what she wrote."

"Pria told me Ida wrote you about me."

"Well, she didn't say much. I only saw what she wrote a few days ago for the first time. It's why I knew we shared the heterochromia thing." She gestured to her eyes.

"Pria said your stepfather had Ida's notebook, but he never gave it to you."

"Mother left it with him to show me when I got older. He hid it, but it's like he wanted me to find it. Eventually."

"And no one else has seen it?"

"I don't know. I don't think so. Why do you care?"

"What did she say about where I'm from?"

"Nothing, really. Just that you had to return to your home. She couldn't come with you. And that she couldn't write about it because it would put people in danger. She was sorry she was dying, and sorry I couldn't talk to her about you when I was older. Until a few days ago, I thought my biological father was a sperm donor." Connie knew how bitter she sounded. Arden looked sad.

He wasn't looking well, though it didn't deter Connie from venting her anger and frustration at his sudden appearance in her life.

"I don't get it, why didn't you at least write? What, no mail service where you're from? Please. All you can do is just show up 30 some years later? How long are you here? And Pria and them," she gestured toward their house, "I suppose they knew who I was all along?" The somewhat peculiar circumstances of her buying the house revealed themselves in a new light. "You all orchestrated me buying this house!" she stood up.

Arden nodded and grinned, "Partly, yes. They were able to take advantage of circumstances after Findley died. That was lucky. But no matter what, they would have found a way to befriend you."

"Why? So, you could stop in and say hello?"

"So, I could convince you to come back home with me."

"What?!? Why would I do that? Where is your home anyway?"

"Dahria"

"Never heard of it."

"That's good. Good that Ida didn't write about Dahria."

"I told you. She was vague."

"Would you mind, perhaps soon you could read to me what she wrote. If others have read it, it could be dangerous."

"Oh, more secrets."

Arden's breathing was becoming laboured, "I'm going to tell you everything, Connie. I want you to know and understand everything."

Eneko stepped out from behind the fence. He must have been listening in. He rushed over to Arden and kneeled in front of him, placing his hands on Arden arms. "Dade," he said gently. "That's enough for today. You need to rest. I'll take you in. Pria will come talk to Connie."

Eneko looked at Connie. She understood now why he had avoided letting her see his eyes. They were the same as hers. The same as Arden's.

"Who are you?" she choked.

Arden said, "He's your brother, Connie."

"Half-brother," she and Eneko spoke at the same time.

Eneko got up and waved toward their house. Pria and Milo came running over. Eneko and Milo helped Arden out of his chair. He turned to Connie, "Tomorrow morning. I'll be here again. Please come talk to me. There is so much to explain." He put his hand on his heart. "You are a dream realized."

Connie watched Eneko and Milo hold up Arden as he walked back to the house.