The Switch

Once again, Grayson woke them in the morning. Connie slept through the night on the couch. She was surprised to see the sun fully up.

"It's late. This mean you're going to give me the day off?"

"Not sure. Maybe. A little situation's come up. I have a question for you. I need an honest answer."

"Like you give me honest answers?"

"Connie, I'm not in the mood. You took one of the Glocks, right? What did you do with it? Did you really throw it in the river?"

"What's brought that up? Come on, Grayson. Do you really want me on your side, or not?"

"A message bird came from Misgy this morning. They want to trade Peter for Quill. I guess your old friend has been hiding out in Misgy all this time."

"Oh."

"Oh. Is that all you have to say? No big Connie opinions? I know either the old Chinese guy or the boy is incentive to keep you on track, as it were. So why would we trouble ourselves making the switch? Except - they've also offered to give back the gun you took. That you told Ainsley you threw in the river. She likes to crow about how she can read you like a book. And can always tell when you were lying."

Neither said anything for several seconds, each waiting for the other to speak first.

Connie didn't want to give away how relieved she'd be to have Quill returned to his family. It would be much easier to take risks with a resourceful grown man like Peter rather than a little boy. It was worth losing the gun. But would they make the switch, even with the gun? Could they be trusted? Zatch would certainly be in the middle of this. Despite what she thought of him, she did have confidence he'd be extremely careful to control the outcome.

"I lied. I fooled Ainsley. That almost makes me happy. I gave the Misgys the gun. And showed them how to use it."

"You know how to use a gun?"

"Duh, more of my backwoods upbringing, Grayson."

He turned to go.

"Wait, does this mean you'll do the trade, and I'm not going through the passage today?"

"I don't know yet. Maybe you'll go this evening."

"If the trade happens, I need to witness what happens. And be with Quill. No more rough strangers handling him."

After Grayson left, Harnell asked, "Do you think they'll do it?"

"I hope so. I tried not to, but I'm afraid he saw that that's what I want. I'm not that good a liar. I'm counting on them being nervous about Misgy having a gun. Guns rule their world. I hope they'll see it as a big give."

It was early afternoon before Grayson returned for Connie and Quill. The arrangements were to meet on the road near Joyund Farm. Along with Grayson, Connie was dismayed to see eight men and women with assault rifles piling into several 5-5's. She thought wistfully about those mornings she pedalled to work with Tessa in the greenhouses on the farm. Though it was mere days, it seemed another lifetime ago.

All that she and Harnell told Quill was that he was going to Joyund Farm today and that he would be back soon with his family. But first, they had to meet some people. His initial excitement faded when he felt the grim mood of their armed chaperones. And began crying when he saw the mercenary who'd seized him at Tori and Lina's. Connie picked him up and held him close on the 5-5, softly singing their new dialect version of Old MacDonald.

The 5-5s stopped. A line of Misgys with Peter and Zatch in the middle stood across the road. Connie was comforted to see Zatch in full bravado mode. The Glock dangled down from his right hand as if it belonged there. She didn't see Tori and hoped that she and her crossbow and other crossbow archers were hiding in the trees.