The Compound

Vivian stepped outside the Temple of Priests' building and was accompanied by another person.

It was the kind-looking man who recruited her.

The sky was already dark and the street lamps were lit. There were still many people walking around and some shops were already preparing to close.

The man looked around and saw a horse carriage a couple of meters away. However, instead of a horse, in front of it looked like a cow and was covered in red fur that was neatly trimmed.

The man and the coachman made eye contact.

Whip.

The coachman whipped the animal with the reins and the carriage went over to where the man and Vivian were.

As the animal got closer and saw Vivian, it started to become restless.

Fortunately, the coachman was a professional so he was able to quickly control the animal as it continued heading to the man and Vivian.

Vivian pretended not to notice what just happened and looked away.

The carriage finally arrived in front of the man and Vivian but the animal was still a bit restless.

"Good evening, Honored Priest Joshua. Daisy here seems to have eaten something and isn't feeling well. But don't worry, she's a fine one so there's no need to worry. Where can I take you?"

"To the compound of the Priests."

Both Joshua and Vivian stepped inside the carriage.

***

Vivian was sitting down in the carriage and gazing out at the window.

I've never been in this part of the city...

They're not going to take me somewhere far away and dangerous, are they...?

They did say that they're taking me to a place within the city where all the members of the Temple of Priests stay...

And I'm free to enter and leave anytime I want...

I just hope it's true...

She turned her head and looked at the person in front of her.

Sitting across her was the kind-looking man or Joshua who"convinced" her to join the Temple of Priests.

"Once again, congratulations, Sister Vivian," he said. "I must admit, the first time I saw you, for some reason I knew right away that you would be a great member of our Temple. You managed to unlock [Light Mastery] on your first ceremony. The God of Light really watches over you. I'm very happy for you."

"Thank you... Um... brother..." Vivian said and flashed an awkward smile.

Given that she just joined, she was still uncomfortable calling people brother, especially when also considering she didn't have any siblings back in her previous world.

The word just felt too foreign on her tongue.

"Please call me Brother Joshua."

"Right. Thank you, Brother Joshua."

"So where are you from?"

Vivian's heart sank.

"Um... Just down south in a small village," she said and returned her gaze to the window.

"I too was born in a small village called Meadow and moved here when I was 16 years old."

"I see. That's good to hear," she replied but didn't look at him.