Hanneli - The Yakshi Princess

The Elapsed Era:

The full moonlight flooding the forest with gossamer brightness delighted Hanneli and she could not stop admiring the silver orb. When unsuspecting clouds skimmed past the moon, Hanneli glared at the wool pack with displeased eyes. The flowing piece of jute skirt tied around her waist fluttered in the cool breeze as she skipped and walked along the road, following the trail of the Moon. Her long curly black hair was left open and the braided band worn around her forehead like a tiara kept the unruly strands from blowing across her face. Her dark brown eyes twinkled with laughter and mischief and the delicately arched lashes blinked at the star-studded velvet sky. Her skirt had a long slit and it left a tantalizing glimpse of her long shapely leg. A string of coral jasmine flowers was fastened around one ankle. Her long arms were bare and she had carelessly draped a piece of cloth made from the threads of a silkworm over her chest. It was clasped at the back with two shells & combs.

As she strolled along the boulevard of the city of Alakapuri, the bright lamps of the street warned her of forbidden territory. But Hanneli did not intend to pause. The magical night assaulted her senses with its cool breeze, spicy fragrance and glistening softness. Fascinated by the floating Moon that seemed to taunt her with its beauty, she paused near the water fountain at the entrance to the main street which led to the circular building of the Centre for Studies. To date, she had never ventured this far into the city. It was past midnight so there were only a few guards who were poised in alert rigidness at the entrance of the building. Since it was quite dark, they would not be able to spot her. The rest of the city seemed asleep. Hanneli sighed watching the Moon sail away from her line of vision towards the back of the building. Only the stars remained now, winking at her inability to keep up with the Moon. Hanneli made a face at the stars and decided to retreat to the forest before some Yaksha or Yakshi spotted her. She swung around.

And froze to a stop...

Some paces away, in front of her, stood a tall young man staring at her unabashedly. His dark eyes were taking in the wild tresses, and her headband and they drifted down slowly, studying every inch of her. Hanneli flushed under his scrutiny. She took a step aside to go back to the forest. But he stepped ahead and blocked her way. This close, Hanneli viewed his striking face with a slight frown. The dark eyes seemed to bore into her soul. His powerful shoulders blocked her view and his lips tightened momentarily as she tried to step sideways. He moved again and stopped her from walking away.

"Who are you?' his deep timbre voice kindled an unknown heat somewhere inside her.

Her vivacious eyes mirrored her incredulity. How can he see her? Was she not invisible to the human eyes at this time of night?

In reply, she murmured softly, "Let me go."

He looked surprised at her lilting voice; somehow the sight and sound of her broke the monotony of the night for him.

Hanneli thought of her father who, she knew, would take her to task severely, if he learnt that she had met a resident of Alakapuri. He had warned her many times for defying his orders. But it was midnight and it was not her fault if some insomniac roamed the city at this time, especially one who could sight her.

"What is your name?" he asked her once again.

To get rid of him, she mumbled "Hanneli"

"Hanneli" he repeated the name softly as if he was memorizing it.

"Where do you stay?" he continued his interrogation and she lost her patience.

"It is none of your business. Let me go or..."

"Or? What will you do if I don't let you go?" he asked in a tone that befuddled her mind. Was he amused or angry? She could not discern but standing this close to him was making her nervous and self-conscious.

While they appraised each other, the glint of challenge in his eyes appealed to her and her impishness could not let go of a challenge. The corner of her lips lifted in a tiny smile and she replied, "I might disappear."

His eyes widened and his eyebrows rose a minuscule in scorn, "Really? Let us see."

Hanneli looked past his shoulder and pointed out the flickering lamps, "Some people are following you with lamps and weapons."

"I know. They always do," he said, grinning in mock acceptance. "Forget them. Let us see if you can disappear," he taunted her while not taking his eyes off her.

Hanneli shook her head, "No they are not your followers. Someone else is there."

He spun around distracted by her comment. He heard the sound of something dart past him like a breeze and when he turned back there was no one.

Hanneli who had managed to move away from him watched him from afar. He was pacing across the boulevard, looking for her in helpless anger. She could not help but smile at his frustration. She trudged back to the woods and was in time to watch the fireflies flare up the dense forest in glorious light. It was magical.

Like her meeting with that man probably...

Who was he? She wondered. She had come across some of the people from the city but she had never met anyone so handsome or striking. His bearing, his clothes and his personality hinted that he was one of the royal statuses; but who? There were many royal members in the palace. Hanneli was not certain of their identities though.

While she slept under her favourite tree, the vision of the young man haunted her dreams; the young man who challenged her.

When the sun shone brightly the next morning, Hanneli collected the leaves that her father wanted, plucked all the fruits and made a salad for both of them, her mind recalling every moment of the previous night.

During lunch, Hanneli asked her father, "Father..."

"Hmmm..." for a moment he stopped eating and looked up at his daughter. He watched her face tightening with puzzling doubts.

"What is it Hanneli? Are you not feeling well?"

"No, I am fine. But I hope you won't be angry when I ask you this."

Amogha's misgivings grew and he looked at her with concern, "Did something happen?"

"No, no father. Nothing happened... Don't look so worried."

Amogha relaxed a little and waited for his daughter to speak up.

"Father, are we visible to some at.... night or day I mean..." Hanneli asked in hesitation, afraid of her father berating her for disobeying him.

"Who saw you? And when? How many times have I told you not to go into the city?" Amogha's face reddened with displeasure at his daughter's defiance.

Hanneli rushed into an explanation to dissuade him from losing his temper, "No one saw me, father. I was just asking because someone was talking about it."

"You are not lying...are you?" Amogha regarded his daughter with suspicion.

Hoping that he would not probe, Hanneli rushed into a harmless white lie, "No father, no one saw me."

Amogha sighed with relief and recalling her question, finally acquiesced to explain, "I can make myself visible to anyone I want but normally Yakshi or Yaksha cannot be seen. In some strange instances, depending upon the cosmic moment, one spots a Yakshi briefly. Also, an expert or one undergoing education in meta-physics can sight us."

"How does one become an expert?"

"By learning everything about us... Like the royal family of Alaka! They are acquainted with us like no one else is; how we move, our power and our weakness. We are part of the Kingdom so they consider it their duty to learn everything about us. Even if we come across them during the day, they can view us."

Hanneli ruminated if that handsome man was a royal.

The days flew but the nights drew agonisingly slow. Hanneli did not go back to the city again. She feared meeting him even if a tiny part of her wanted to see him one last time. There was something about him that thrilled her.

If she had not been a Yakshi, she would have met him and made friends with him but...