Destiny's Child

The Present Era:

Vishu Marco's appreciative comment on her eyes dispelled the ennui that had enveloped Dharma during the weeks of idleness. She was not the type to get carried away by flattery but the artist's observation about her eyes being a guiding spirit for lost souls warmed her heart with its depth. Perhaps he meant it as a passing compliment but somehow his words gave her a reason to feel good. Lost and aimless in a new city owing to a lack of opportunities, the only thing Dharma did during the last three weeks was doodle on her sketch pad.

Kedar tugged his friend's arm and crowed, "See, I told you that she would take your breath away..."

Vishu patted his friend's cheek and invited Dharma into the house. Vishu Marco's small house was scattered with eye-catching showpieces and an eclectic collection of objects made of cast iron. There was a miniature version of a rickshaw, a palanquin, hurricane lamps, and also artifacts from shipwreck. There was a large oil painting of a man showing his bare back. Viewing the side profile, Dharma guessed that it was Kedar.

Vishu and Kedar were discussing softly about a common friend, so not wanting to appear nosy; Dharma sauntered to the terrace. The one-bedroom flat had a large terrace that served as an open studio. Under a tent, there was an easel with unfinished canvas, brushes, and different sizes of containers with paints.

"Hey sorry, I got distracted," Vishu Marco apologized, following her to the terrace.

Now that Dharma was actually in the artist's house, she wanted to make a quick exit.

"Listen..."

"Sorry..."

They spoke in unison...paused and smiled at each other.

"You first..." Vishu prompted.

"Look, this was a mistake. I am sorry I wasted your time," Dharma faltered.

"Hey relax...Why the hurry? I will pay you whatever you ask. My house might be small but I am not an impoverished artist," he drawled, studying her openly from head to toe.

Feeling self-conscious under his scrutiny, Dharma mumbled, "Sorry, I can't do it. I know I am chickening out but this is not what I came to Delhi for."

Vishu glowered at her in confused irritation, "What can't you do Dharma? What do you think I am asking you to do?"

Dharma regarded him, unsure of what he meant. There was possibly some misunderstanding hence to clear the air, she asked, "Why were you offering to pay me?"

Scanning her flushed face, he questioned, "What do you think I was asking you to do?"

When she looked embarrassed, he teased, "Don't tell me Kedar labelled me a nude artist?"

Dharma quizzed sheepishly, "Aren't you?" she found the conversation a bit strange.

"Kedar loves to shock people, especially pretty girls like you, with brazen observations."

"So, what were you offering money for?"

"For your eyes..."

"What?"

"I am primarily an artist and I paint anything that is beautiful. Right now, it is your eyes that I want to freeze on the canvas. I want to capture that enigma. Will you allow me to do it, Dharma?"

Dharma had steeled herself to decline his offer but his appeal to sketch her eyes took her by surprise, "I didn't know you paint other stuff..."

"Trust Kedar to omit that...." after a split second of pause, he added with a half-smile, "I do abstract landscapes and still objects..."