Ekveer - The Prince of Alaka

The Elapsed Era:

The Sun's rays streamed through the window of the room and Ekveer burrowed his face deeper into the pillow. He was dreaming of the mysterious girl but the bright rays were poking his eyes, compelling him to open them. Yawning, he sat up and stretched his body. Two male attendants were standing at the foot-board, holding a tray of bowl, water and his favourite morning drink. Ekveer sighed in wistful memory of the sweet dream.

"Your Highness; the king is waiting for you in the royal room."

Ekveer nodded and taking the bowl, he proceeded towards the solar bathing pool for freshening up. His strong muscles rippled as he soaped them in troubled concentration. He was aware that his father was angry at him for skipping the conference last week and missing the family dinner the previous night. The king was not one to tolerate his inexcusable absence but Ekveer was confident of mollifying his mother's disappointment. The truth was; the family dinners always bored him. It was held once every month and all his relatives turned up to feast on the sumptuous meal and play games of dice on the open terrace. But so far, despite his apathy, he had never missed it.

Buttoning the long garment, he tugged the sleeves in annoyance. It was almost two weeks since he saw Hanneli. And yet he had not encountered her again after that night. His days were now fully taken up with royal duties and studies so he spent the nights looking for her. He had scoured every corner of Alakapuri but to no avail. His attendants and guards were confused and speculated about his continuous exploration during night-time. Every day, he returned to the palace just before dawn and fell asleep in exhaustion.

Today, as he left his chamber, he deduced that his father must have heard of his nocturnal adventures and wanted to admonish him for the same. But Ekveer was not going to stop till he found her. She had become a thorn in his flesh and till he solved the mystery he wouldn't sit still.

The night he saw her was embedded in his subconscious, like an etched engraving. The memory wouldn't leave him even if he tried. Every time he focussed on something else, the image of that hypnotic face would haunt him – the bewitching dark eyes, the melodious voice, the ridiculous hair band, the wild tresses- everything about her intrigued him. Maybe one more meeting would shake him off the fascination.

"Hanneli...." he uttered her name softly and liked the sound of it on his tongue.

His father was waiting for him in an irritable mood and as soon as he saw his son, began to reproach him for missing the previous night's dinner.

"Veer, where were you last night? There were so many people wanting to meet you."

A deep furrow touched Ekveer's forehead, "So many people? I thought it was a family dinner."

"Of course, it was that but there were others too who visited us after a long time."

Ekveer was presented with an assortment of dishes on the huge leaf and he was delighted to find his favourite sweet dish. He was famished and wanted to eat first.

"Brijesh Mohan Singh had brought his daughter and she was eager to meet you."

Ekveer caught his father's momentary hesitation and his head shot up at the mention of the king of Vindhash.

"Father, I didn't know there were going to be dignitaries. I thought it was only family."

His mother walked in and clarified, "King Brijesh is family."

His mother stroked his head amusingly at his bewildered look, "You are betrothed to his daughter."

"I know!" Ekveer answered with vexation. He did not remember his engagement much but it had been drummed into him since childhood by every member of the family. He had met his fiancée a few times but he didn't think they made an impression on each other much. At least not on him, he mused. In some corner of his consciousness, a beguiling face with an absurd floral anklet & long tress mocked him.

"As little children, you both were fond of each other and we decided to strengthen our friendship with this commitment," his mother repeated what he had heard a greater number of times than the actual number of strands on his head.

Especially when Khandvas was itching to stake claim over the border, thought Ekveer in rancour. The marriage deal between Vindhash and Alaka would strengthen their hold and would weaken the Khandvas' claim.

"I will meet her next time," Ekveer assured them in dismissive coldness.

"Sadhana is still here Veer. She will meet you after some time. Brijesh and his family are leaving only tomorrow." Kuvera Bhadra frowned in disapproval as he noticed the young royal maid eyeing his son. It was a constant bone of contention between him and his wife. Women were drawn to his son, like a moth to the flame. He had caught his son red-handed many times with the daughter of a noble or a palace official. He had expressed his objection many times to his wife but she had always defended her son and invariably concluded that her son was not responsible for the vagaries of women. Kuvera was amused by his wife's argument but this morning he had heard about Veer's nocturnal expeditions from an official and it aggrieved him. He did not mention it to his wife but he waited for an opportunity to speak to his son alone.

As soon as the morning routines were over, the king invited his son to his official chamber. They strode side by side, each deep in diverse thoughts.

At the end of the corridor, the door opened to a sprawling hall whose walls were decorated with giant portraits of royal ancestors. Kuvera marched ahead towards his chamber followed by Ekveer.

Ekveer recognized the umbrage on his father's face so he was prepared for the barrage of questions that would target him first, then demand an explanation and finally acknowledge his justification.

His father glanced at him after keeping him waiting for almost thirty minutes. Ekveer was used to the pattern so he endured his father's silent treatment, studying the map of Alaka on the wall.

"What is it you are searching for the whole night in Alakapuri?"

Ekveer thought to himself, "A witch with impish eyes and tantalising smile who is giving me sleepless nights." At his father's pointed stare, Ekveer replied, "Nothing... It is peaceful at night to explore the city."

"Haven't you seen enough of the city? I hear that you are searching for someone in particular," Kuvera questioned, tolerating his son's audacity with restraint.

"Who told you that I am searching for someone in particular? My day is filled with a packed schedule which you are very much aware of. When do I get time to be on my own? Except for the night?"

There was logic in his son's argument. The scholars who trained his son commended Ekveer's intelligence and analytical mind to him often in private.

"Veer, you are not a child anymore. You are twenty-one and you need to be more responsible. As the prince, you set the trend. People look up to you as an example of a mature and ideal citizen. When you ignore etiquette and shed the cloak of formality, you will bring disenchantment among your followers and expose yourself to danger."

Perceiving the concern in his father and being determined to break the ice between them, Ekveer went on to allay his father's fears, "I won't waste my time unnecessarily. Trust me, if I smell any kind of danger, I will come to you."

Placated temporarily by his son, Kuvera patted Ekveer's shoulders and advised, "Be careful son. The Khandvas are waiting for an opportunity to bring us down. Their resentment has increased after the recent floods of Hiranvati. The unusual flood at this time of the year has resulted in an outbreak of an infectious disease and their people are dying."

"Why can't we send help to them? Maybe we can lend a team of our medical experts to them. Isn't that what good neighbours do?"

"I have already offered them our services but they have turned us down. Vindhash is sending a team to them."

"But why only Vindhash? We should also step in."

"Not at the moment when tempers are fraying," the king concluded as he answered the knock of the minister.

Ekveer left his father to his duties and thoughtfully strode back to his quarters.