An Old Folklore

The Present Era:

"Krishna Industries?"

"Yes, remember that young judge who came for our annual day?" Brahim asked unaware that Dharma had never forgotten the day when the young man had made an indelible impression on her.

"Brahim, you are forgetting that he did not choose me. The three winners are joining his company this summer for an internship. How can I ask them for work?"

"You can go as an independent candidate with a reference from any of our admin's heads."

Just the thought of meeting Maurya excited Dharma, "But Brahim, who will give me such a reference?"

"There must be someone in our administration. Let me find out."

A week later Brahim gave her a reference letter from one of the professors of the college. Apparently, the professor knew the marketing head of Krishna Industries.

"I have an interview fixed for Friday in Delhi. Why don't you come with me Dharma? You can meet the concerned person in Krishna Industries while I attend the interview."

Dharma was only too happy to leave the town but Kamya advised her against venturing into a strange city, "Dharma, you will be alone there. Who will take care of you if you get into trouble?"

"We will face it, if and when I get a job there."

So, Dharma and Brahim planned to board an overnight bus to New Delhi on the following Thursday.

**********

The temple, facing the river Agni, was built in the center of the village, and rows of houses ran on either side of the temple. The daily worship and prayers at the temple of Anuragni Devi concluded and a regular visitor to the temple, Shankaran Murthy lingered on the premises, watching the dilapidated house at the corner of the street. The abandoned house which was named Avadhi stood in forlorn hope waiting for someone to open its doors. After closing the doors of the shrine, the temple priest stepped out, smiling at Shankaran Murthy.

"You are still here Shankaran? Waiting for someone?"

"No no... I was wondering if it will rain today. The sky seems ominous and the river is already reaching its brim."

"Our river Agni has never overflowed. It always protects Anuragnicheri from such fury," the priest replied with pride, regarding the river and the sky in thoughtful contemplation. He then asked, "How are things at the department?"

Shankaran Murthy shrugged, "Usual routine work. Nothing much!"

"Forensic work must be interesting, isn't it?" the priest asked him, as they walked along the street. Some of the houses were locked up as the owners had moved to bigger towns and cities. But the few remaining residents would not even think of travelling to another town, even though their children had moved to different places.

"As a forensic anthropologist, I get to see only dead bodies. Their stories are dead by the time they come to me."

"True, you have been here for how many years?"

"Four and a half years and I like it here. It is quiet and peaceful. Not many crimes happen in this part."

"What about your office building? There is talk that some government organization is going to renovate it."

"Yes, it needs maintenance badly. I think I will fall sick if I work there for one more year. The walls are covered with fungus."

"'Chatram' was built around the 19th century for security men (to take rest after long travel) by the then King of Travancore, Sreemoolan Thirunal. Do you know Shankaran, during the Quit India Movement, many freedom fighters were lodged here?"