War of Victory

The Elapsed Era:

Winter turned bleak with the onset of war. The war raged through two waning and waxing phases of the moon to a third cycle. To Hanneli, the war seemed everlasting. Sometimes at night, when she would lay awake, praying for the safe return of her father, Ekveer, and other soldiers; she would hear the nocturnal birds, gliding across the forests, crooning wistful tunes of happier days. Hanneli pondered if their despondent whistles were carried to the ones fighting in the war. Many soldiers were wounded and many others were killed. However, the news that drifted to Hanneli from the battlefield was that Alaka was slowly and steadily gaining control.

Nonetheless, there was a constant state of fear in the minds of people. If Alaka lost, then it would be invaded by the enemies. They had heard stories of Suraj Aditya's wickedness. He was known to be merciless and encouraged cruelty in his administrators. Hence, the war instilled a sense of dread, preventing the countrymen from diligently performing their duties. More than that, it spurred them to cherish the sunrises with a sanguine disposition.

The third phase of the conflict saw an unreliable Suraj Aditya desert his troops and flee from the battleground. His sentinels helped him to make an escape in the middle of the night. It was later known that he sought refuge in a Southern kingdom. The succeeding dawn witnessed the surrender of Khandvas. And without the military support of Khandvas, Vindhash knuckled under the onslaught of Alaka. Brijesh Mohan relinquished his throne and was captured by Alaka's troops. He was imprisoned in Alakapuri. An elated Kuvera Bhadra took control of Khandvas and Vindhash. He crowned the chief of his commanders as the new monarch of Khandvas.

While most of Alaka celebrated the victory, Ekveer was heartbroken by the sight of corpses in the field. He grieved the loss of some of his close friends who had died in the battle. Young soldiers from all three kingdoms fought valiantly but their lives had been snuffed out in the combat. Ekveer and his warriors trotted across the field, taking count of the deceased lives. Some of the dead soldiers had joined the army very recently. The futility of war dispirited Ekveer. His heart ached for all those families who had lost their son, father, brother, or husband. It did not matter to him that some of the dead figures belonged to the opponents' brigade. He just felt it was imperative to give an honourable farewell to all those who had laid their lives down for their own kingdoms.

Following a fitting tribute to the slain soldiers, Ekveer and his battalion began their return journey to Alakapuri. Kuvera Bhadra made preparations for a ceremonial welcome. While the preparations went on and the residents of Alakapuri awaited their triumphant prince eagerly, Kuvera Bhadra visited his old friend-turned-foe in the prison.

Defeated Brijesh Mohan was unprepared to face the proud ruler of Alaka. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" he challenged his visitor.

Kuvera observed that Brijesh had no remorse about his betrayal, "How could you join a deceitful king like Suraj Aditya?"

A belligerent Brijesh countered, "How could Ekveer kidnap Sadhana and confine her? It was so abhorrent of Ekveer to commit such a crime."

"But who gave you this false information? You should have got it confirmed before going to war."

"Why would my daughter lie?"

"She might have been misled into thinking that it was Ekveer. Did she see him properly?"

Brijesh slouched in silence, unable to verify the truth.

"It was actually some mercenaries from Khandvas who abducted Sadhana," Kuvera revealed what he had learnt from his spies.

"What?" Kuvera Bhadra's disclosure set Brijesh reflecting on the sequence of events that happened prior to the war; the message from Suraj Aditya through his advisor Yoganand, Sadhana's disappearance, and then the war. Suraj Aditya, after instigating Brijesh to join the war, had absconded in the middle of the battle, leaving him to face the wrath of Kuvera Bhadra. And he recalled that it was actually the commandos of Khandvas who had found his daughter under the debris. It dawned on Brijesh that he had made a grave error of judgement. He had committed an unforgivable transgression by trusting the sly king of Khandvas.