The Unheard Whispers

The Present Era:

The ISBT bus station at Kashmiri Gate was milling with travellers when Dharma and Brahim alighted the next morning. Brahim took Dharma to the guest house that the company had arranged for him.

"This is cool Brahim. I hope you get the job. The company is so nice to have arranged all this for you," Dharma mentioned, taking in their temporary accommodation.

"All companies arrange such cover for outstation candidates," Brahim observed, sounding casual about such privileges. He asked, "So Dharma, other than Krishna Industries, where else are you planning to go? Do you have the App to order cabs?"

After Brahim explained to Dharma how to use the App, they freshened up and had breakfast. Then they hailed a cab and on his way to his interview, Brahim dropped Dharma at the head office of Krishna Industries.

Dharma studied the building before stepping inside. With white walls, blue doors, and beige frames, it looked welcoming. The Neo-Mughal architecture impressed her. There were also art galleries and designer boutiques on the same block. Entering the air-conditioned lobby of the sprawling interior, Dharma was surprised by the décor. The spacious lounge was designed with traditional ornate wooden furniture while brass urns and bronze statues were displayed in the corners. Oil lamps of different styles occupied the tiny alcoves on the walls. One side of the room was converted into a sitting lounge. The floor was covered by a pigeon-blue hand-woven carpet. The upholstery on the divan-style sofa was of the same blue which matched the colour of the lake that was visible through the window that ran from one end of the wall to another. Dharma could see an outline of a monument on the Eastern side of the lake.

At the end of the lobby, there was a reception counter but that day no one occupied it. While she stood there thinking about what to do next, she found an old-fashioned cycle bell on the reception desk. Pressing it, she waited for someone to answer her call and studied the draped fabrics on the mannequins that stood in a row along the wall.

An attractive woman in her late twenties came from the inner quarters.

"Yes?" she inquired.

"Hi, I am Dharma; I am here to meet Mr. Rohit Khanna. I was referred to him."

"The head of the marketing department?" she asked

When Dharma nodded, she continued, "He is not here. You have to go to the corporate office to meet him."

"Where is that?"

"At Connaught Place," she replied, taking in Dharma's attire and overnight bag.

"What about Maurya Anurag Verma? Is he here?"

At the mention of his name, the girl's eyes widened in surprise and she regarded Dharma curiously.

"No, he is not here," she replied, not disclosing if he would be available at the corporate office.

"This Corporate office; is it far?" Dharma asked.

"Yes, take a cab from here."

"Aren't there autos?"

"Yes, but you have to walk to the main road to take an auto."

"Thank you," Dharma gave a sweeping look and stepped out of the elegantly designed office. Before leaving the area, Dharma was tempted to take a look at the lake that she had seen from the office window. Following the directions on a post on the street corner, she strode along the quiet and deserted road towards the water body. When she reached the lake, she was surprised by the antiquity of the surroundings. There was an old monument of Islamic architecture on the opposite bank and an ancient plaque in front of the complex explained that the tank was excavated by the then Sultanate of Delhi Alauddin Khalji during the medieval period. Siri as it was called then was the second biggest city in Delhi in those days. Dharma was delighted to visit an ancient part of the city and enjoyed the uninterrupted view of the royal tank. She watched in fascination the play of lights on the reflection of the old monument in the water. While she stood admiring the view, she got a queer feeling of being watched. She checked around her but she found no one. There was only the well-maintained garden and some unkempt wilderness beyond the gardens. Sighing, she was about to turn away but an uncanny instinct stopped her. Over and above the tranquillity that surrounded the lake, she heard something softly audible.