The spell of Coral Jasmine

The Elapsed Era:

Standing on the edge of the cliff, Bhagadatta, the chief head of Kinaras surveyed the snow-clad peaks of the mountain ranges of Mandara around him. His small frame, long white strands tied behind, and the small eyes in his weather-beaten hatchet face belied the swiftness of movement he was capable of. Kinaras had some special qualities that other tribes did not possess. They can run as swiftly as horses and wade through the water like birds. They can even stay awake like owls through the night. They have lightweight skeletons with hollow bones. This helps them to carry their frame effortlessly across the valleys and gorges. While the Yakshas worshipped the River Yakshagni, Kinaras considered Mount Mandara as their lord.

Bhagadatta's prime concern was the tribe, Yakshas. His army of soldiers had tried to invade a part of Yaksha territory but Amogha and his brigade proved to be stronger. Deep in thought, he sauntered back to the cavern where he lived with his partner Chitraratha. The tribe of Kinaras lived and moved in pairs. Irrespective of their gender, each Kinara chose to live with a partner. There was no discrimination of duties or roles between a male and a female Kinara. They were not nurturers consequently one can never find offspring in the pack. The long faces of Kinaras reminded one of a horse but Kinaras looked closer to humans than horses. Kinaras' life span was believed to be a thousand years; hence one generation of Kinaras lived between two appearances of "The Great Storm". According to their myth, the storm emerged from the farthest peak of the mountains and diffused in the Southern Ocean, destroying everything on its way. The Kinaras believed that life emerged anew every thousand years, between the occurrences of two Great Storms.

Coming back to the present, Bhagadatta had to plan a strategy to wage a war against their enemies Yakshas, who were entrenched too deep in the forests.

Chitraratha was already awake when Bhagadatta reached his abode. Together they swam and washed in the piercingly chill river of Gangadwara and cooked their food on the banks, enjoying the brightening morning.

"Have you thought of a plan to attack the Yakshas army?" Chitraratha munched on the delectable freshwater fish and asked him.

Bhagadatta regarded the distant Alpine trees thoughtfully, "I have an idea but it has to be at a time when Alaka's army is also busy. Yakshas have the support of the king. King Kuvera would do anything to protect his citizens so we have to attack Yakshas when Alaka soldiers are engaged elsewhere."

"Kuvera is our king too. Maybe we should speak to him."

"Technically our region that is the Mandara Mountains does not come exactly under the kingdom of Alaka. These ranges have always been an independent territory because of their hostile conditions. Nevertheless, Alaka considers it as their land. No human can withstand its extreme weather or harsh terrain."

"So, what do we do? Why don't we instigate a war between Khandvas and Alaka, this would keep their armies busy and we can storm into the forests without much struggle."

"Do you think it is possible? How can we instigate a war between two countries?"

"By creating discord across their borders...and they would blame each other for the troubles."

"Yaksha leader Amogha is a very astute and crafty old fox. It is not easy to fool him. We have to be very careful."

"Leave it to me Bhagadatta. I will leave tomorrow for the border. I will take some of our people."

Bhagadatta was not willing to let go of his partner Chitraratha so soon. He insisted that once he draws up a proper plan for the entire offensive, they may leave together.

****************

Ekveer galloped faster and entered the forests as the sun started to sink gradually into the distant horizon.