In search of a name

The Present Era:

Maurya scrutinized the swatches of fabric carefully, feeling their texture with his fingers. Not satisfied with the colours used in the fabric, he sifted through the album of swatches looking for the right shade for the embroidery that the company, Krishna Industries Limited would be launching in the market for the first time.

After his visit to Peru last month, Maurya had struck a deal with their government to use their traditional embroidery on the fabrics that Krishna Industries manufactured. Later, the fabrics would be tailored into skirts, long gowns, and dresses. Maurya had been impressed with the range of intricate designs of Peruvian embroidery.

"I want a combination of these shades." Maurya pointed out the fabric swatches attached to the album, to his executive sitting opposite in his office, waiting for Maurya's opinion.

"Sir, these secondary colours have been used for our premium collection."

"I know Shikhar, what I mean is creating a unique tertiary shade out of mixing these colours. Check with our team in Surat or you personally go there and find out, if it is possible to come up with the shade I want. The embroidery cannot be used in the colours of fabrics that we currently produce. I want a shade that we have not used before. Speak with the technician and send me the samples."

"Sure, Sir...." After Shikhar left with the swatches and album, Maurya's assistant reminded him about his meeting with the Additional Secretary. Maurya hurried for the meeting not wanting to make the administration official wait. He reversed his favourite car while noticing the gloom of the winter afternoon. He didn't mind severe winters but these dour days that hung between crispy sunshine and limp coldness annoyed him. The city lying in somnolent indifference to the greyness enveloping it dispelled his usual feeling of optimism.

The vibration of his phone stirred him from his vagrant thoughts about the weather. He answered connecting his Bluetooth, observing the group of students crossing the road when he brought the car to a stop at the traffic signal,

"Am I speaking to my beloved fiancé Maurya Anurag Verma?" Rashika's mellifluous voice brought an unconscious grin to his face.

"Yes, my beloved, you are indeed talking to your handsome fiancé," he replied playfully, the pall of gloom in his head fading a bit at Rashika's question.

"Handsome, eh?"

"Yup absolutely! Name one person more handsome or braver than me who can sweep you off your feet?"

Rashika giggled, reminded of the day Maurya had proposed to her. He had been so gallant and charming that she had fallen more deeply in love with him.

"Hmm... None in New Delhi at least but of course, I have to search the other cities for more specimens like you."

"Specimens? Oh dear, now I have to check all lab rats..."Maurya mocked, accelerating his car as the red signal turned green. Maneuvering his flashy sports car through the bustling Connaught place traffic, he seemed blissfully unaware of the appreciative glances he was drawing from other cars.

"Oh, shut up Arya. I called you to remind you about the party. You remember right?"

Maurya did not remember but now that she reminded him, "Oh yes... that engagement party of that quivering mouse to a pompous elephant."

"Don't be so rude. They are my friends, OK?"

"OK, apologies but you can't disagree with my description."

Rashika cut the call and Maurya redialled the number, "Sorry, I will pick you up at 8. Is that all right?"

"Yes," Rashika's sulkiness disappeared after his apology but both of them knew that she could never stay too angry with him.