To be the Prince

The Elapsed Era:

King Kuvera Bhadra listened to his council of ministers with concern. The chaos prevailing in the neighbouring kingdom, owing to the uprising, was magnified by the death of domestic mammals along their border. The reports from various sources suggested that the animals were slaughtered in merciless rage. Kuvera sought his ministers' advice to approach Khandvas with an offer of help. While some of the wise men opposed the suggestion assuming that the king of Khandvas would reject their offer of help outright, some others were of the opinion that Alaka would not lose anything by extending their support. Kuvera Bhadra was anxious to learn the identity of the culprits who were wreaking havoc along the border.

"Your Majesty, it would be best if we left the matter alone. Khandvas has never appreciated our offer of help. "

"And don't you think it is imperative that we know who is creating these problems? Today it is Khandvas, tomorrow it may be us!" Ekveer's question raised a pertinent point although his rebuke did not please the king.

"Can His Royal Highness, the prince explain his stand? Does the prince have an idea about the perpetrators?" Another member of the distinguished group raised the question.

"I think the miscreants who are committing these crimes have to be either the citizens of Khandvas or a third party to create misunderstanding between both countries. I believe that if the animals were killed for hunting or sale, their carcasses would not be left behind, and not a single part of the animals has been stolen." Ekveer spoke confidently, having learnt the results from his team of close aides, prior to the meeting.

Kuvera was impressed with his son's own source of information. In spite of his reservations about Ekveer's bashful response to one of the senior counsels, he perceived that Ekveer would not express his opinion unless he was certain about it. But as a king, he had to take decisions that may not please one and all.

"I do not want any of our countrymen to probe into the cause of the murders. Khandvas would misconstrue it. I think we should wait for further development in the matter. If we get a message from Khandvas, we will decide on a further plan of action." The king ended the meeting.

Ekveer was disappointed with his father's decision. He was keen to investigate the matter. Even if these stray incidents happened in another kingdom, the mayhem took place close to their territory which was a cause for concern. Ekveer believed in nipping the brewing troubles in the bud and not waiting unnecessarily for the inevitable to happen. He supposed he disagreed with his father's policies in such matters. An hour later when Ekveer was taking lessons in Pari-Khanda (a style of sword and shield fighting) a guard came running...

"Your royal highness, the king wants your presence for a confidential meeting."

Ekveer followed the man, wondering if his father was planning to give him a sermon for his unintended comment earlier in the council. But when he reached his father's chambers, he realized that it was a gathering of the king's most trusted ministers.

"It has come to my hearing that with a greater number of mammal deaths, Khandvas king is sending a messenger to us with an urgent warning. He believes that we are responsible for the deaths."

As the discussion continued in the king's private chambers, Ekveer listened silently to the arguments and counter-arguments. He had already made his stance clear, so he did not need to intervene in the discussion. He studied the map of both countries to locate the area where the unfortunate event had taken place. The strip of land that ran between the two countries was at the base of the snow-clad mountains and River Hiranvati flowing from Alaka wound its way along this stretch of land and entered the kingdom of Khandvas. If the slaughterers had arrived by boat, then they could have belonged to Alaka.