Like a breath of fresh air

The Present Era:

It was the second social party that Maurya was attending this week and bored out of his wits, he tried to concentrate on the discussions centered on pubs, movies, and the latest break-ups.

"You aren't tired, are you?" Rashika asked him cozily, taking hold of his arm, draping it around her, and snuggling closer to him. One of her friends hosted the party for the couple who got engaged a week ago. Rashika had dragged Maurya to the engagement party as well.

"Well, if you ask me like that, I might say I am but actually I am not." The playful smile and the wicked glint accompanying his words made her suspicious.

"What do you mean?"

"Look at that dude near the door. He has been eyeing me for quite some time, giving me come-hither looks."

Rashika hit him on his arm...

"Ouch! That hurt..."

"Good..." she muttered speculating about the other man's intentions.

"Shall we leave?" he asked her, sipping his drink, "I have a long day ahead. Early morning flight and two-hour drive after that."

"Why do you have to go to that event? Can't you send one of your assistants?"

"No, I want to go there personally. They have done well to provide shelter to so many children and most of them have successfully found good careers."

"Can I come with you Arya?" she asked softly, looking up at him, caressing the lapel of his jacket.

Rashika was the only one who called him Arya. He wasn't averse to the shortened name but neither was he fond of it. Still, he didn't check her because she wanted to address him by her pet name. He regarded her small grey eyes that implored him to take her. Her long thick hair was left open and it brushed his arms with its softness. Her red full lips pouted at him. Sometimes, like now, he got this awkward feeling of being trapped. Ever since he proposed to her, she has been persuading him to shop with her, attend her friends' parties, arrive unannounced at his office, call him often for sweet talk, spend the weekends at his house, and so on. They had been good friends before their engagement but now it was as if she could not stay away from him. He considered the possibility that she was showing him off to one and all like a prized trophy.

"No, I have paperwork to finish so I can't take you along."

"You never take me anywhere with you Arya."

"We are going to spend our whole life together. What is the rush now?" he asked her bitingly even though he hadn't intended to sound sharp.

Rashika released her hold on him and stepped away to brush her long hair. She was slender in build and small in structure. So, she wore those ridiculous heels that made her wobble often, like now. He caught her waist before she tripped.

"I don't know why you insist on wearing those dragon heels," Maurya chaffed in her ears as he steadied her.

"Probably to stab you with its sharp edges," she snapped and marched away angrily. Maurya's amused eyes followed her as she grabbed her best friend, Arjun's hands and yanked him towards the dance floor. With the music blasting from the stereo, she and Arjun joined other couples. Wrapping her arms around his neck and resting her face on Arjun's shoulder, she directed her blistering gaze at Maurya, hoping to make him jealous.

Maurya observed her antics and turned around for a refill. At times like this, Rashika's behaviour puzzled him.

"Hey, do you want to dance?" Rashika's friend leaned against the bar top and drawled suggestively.