The Misconceptions

The Present Era:

Dharma and Kamya helped her cousin Seema don the outfit they had brought with them. While Kamya did Seema's hair and makeup, Dharma cleared the room.

Seema's mother barged into the room and gave instructions, "Seema, come now...They are waiting to see you. Kamya, you take your friend to the kitchen and help set a tray for the guests. The maid has left a dish of custard and Samosas on the kitchen counter."

The woman did not spare a glance at Dharma but left in the same huff as she came. Kamya, rather surprised at her relative's gruff bearing threw an apologetic glance at Dharma. Seema grabbed Kamya's hand and appealed, "Kamu, I am nervous, please come with me."

With a nod at Dharma, Kamya accompanied Seema. Collecting all their things, Dharma packed them in a bag, ready to be taken back. A maid knocked and stated, "Didi, you are wanted in the kitchen..."

Dharma wished she didn't have to help in the kitchen. She and Kamya came here to help Seema, not to toil in the kitchen but she went for the sake of her friend. The maid led her through the long corridor, down the stairs to the kitchen. The stairs ended in a room that was used for dining and through its doorway, Dharma glanced at the sitting room where the guests had assembled. The maid left through the back door after guiding Dharma to the kitchen. Looking at the mess in the kitchen, Dharma wondered how anyone could cook in such a disorder. There were dishes stacked in a corner of the counter and after peeking into them, Dharma searched for plates and glasses. Not that she wanted to follow the instructions of Kamya's aunt but she might as well make herself useful while she was here. She wondered if she ought to take the serving tray to the guests but then she recalled the woman's angry words to Kamya. Arranging the dishes on the tray, she leaned back on the countertop to check her messages on the phone.

She was so engrossed in the video of a celebrity designer whom she followed on social media that she did not notice the man entering the room or the way he leered at her.

****************

Chaitanya had accompanied his mother and her friend to the small party. As he had anticipated, the purpose of the visit was to see their daughter. Seema, the girl he had come to see, made an entry with her cousin and he regarded her critically. The first thing he noticed about her was that she was overdressed for such a casual event. It was not an official acceptance of the proposal and yet she looked as if she was prepared for an engagement ceremony. He studied her over the teacup he was nursing. Throwing nervous glances at him, she tried to appear confident. He smiled at her and she flushed. Chaitanya lost interest and leaned back on the chair. He glanced around. Though the house was large, it didn't seem as if the family was affluent enough for his liking. And it was while his eyes roved around the house that he spotted her, a slim girl with short hair following a maid from the stairs to the kitchen. He got a glimpse of her face when she turned to look at the guests from the staircase. She was incredibly pretty and he caught his breath at the striking figure. He waited for her to come out of the kitchen but when she didn't, he excused himself to use the washroom. When Seema's father got up to guide him, he stopped the old man, assuring him that he could find his way. He used the washroom first and sneaked into the kitchen through the dining hall. Now as he stood gazing at her, he couldn't believe that he missed someone like her. Looking slim in a casual Indian outfit, she stood leaning on the counter, checking her phone.

"Hi"

**************

Startled, Dharma raised her face at the greeting. In front of her, stood a man in his late twenties or maybe in his early thirties. The over-confident smile on his face was certainly a put-off but Dharma controlled her instant dislike.