11

Jimin finds himself uncomfortable for the first time since moving into his apartment.

While it is barely a place to call home, it is his home and he always looked forward to coming to his place of comfort after long hours of working at a job he hates but can't leave because he can't find another one to replace it.

But tonight, he can only think of the strange things that have been happening and how he can't think of reasonable explanations to explain them away anymore.

He swears that gush of air last night was someone's icy breath, as though someone was just behind him.

So now, as he lays in his bed, he can't seem to get comfortable. His restless body tosses and turns, every gust of wind outside causing the hairs on his arms to raise and his eyes to dart across the darkness to see if anything moves or shifts in the shadows.

He brought home a second wall clock, positioning it on his wall so the moonlight catches it and he can see what time it is more easily. He focuses his tired eyes on the time and his heart skips a beat.

2:14 A.M.

He feels crazy; he knows he would never believe someone else if they were in his position and they told him what was happening.

But he just can't shake the feeling he has about this.

Watching the clock ticking closer to the time he's grown wary of is like waiting for a bomb to explode. Nothing huge has happened to him; only knocking and displaced breathing that he can't find the source of. Also the time the box was open when he knows he left it closed.

As soon as the time reads 2:16 A.M., Jimin's entire body tenses, just waiting for what small noise or disturbance will heighten his fear and paranoia.

Seconds tick by and his muscles slowly begin to relax as he thinks - or maybe hopes - this has all been some strange coincidence. The minute is halfway over and nothing has happened. His apartment is as quiet as it normally is.

Jimin shakes his head, willing himself to believe it - that he isn't experiencing something strange that he can't explain.

It's all just a coincidence and it's over now.

It's nearly 2:17 in the morning, so Jimin allows himself to close his eyes, seeing the seconds tick by and bringing the time closer to a time Jimin feels safe.

If nothing happens, it will confirm that Jimin has been imagining all of these connections that realistically were never there.

Jimin's breathing halts in his chest when he hears it, his eyes slowly opening to see it's still 2:16.

Footsteps.

Slow, dragging thumps that he can tell are coming from his living room.

Normally, he would try to brush it off and assume it's from his neighbors above him.

But no.

Because it's 2:16 A.M. and he can hear footsteps where there shouldn't be.

Because he's alone.

Isn't he?