17

When Jimin walks into his apartment, he doesn't bother taking off his shoes. He doesn't even look before he drops his keys, and they clatter to the ground at his feet as he walks straight to his bedroom, his eyes locked on the closed box resting on top of his dresser.

Not caring about leaving fingerprints in this moment, Jimin flips open the box and for the first time, his bare fingers caress the silver framework surrounding the glittering gems. The diamond and pearls are nearly luminescent in the afternoon light, almost as if the piece of jewelry is saying hello to him, like the two are old friends catching up.

Jimin walks backwards, the box in one hand and the necklace in the other as the backs of his legs hit the side of his bed and he sits down on the mattress, eyes locked on the jewelry. After setting the box beside him, his fingertips thread through the chain, feeling the thin, cool line of the silver in his touch as he stares down at the necklace.

It's so beautiful in every sense of the word, and Jimin's heart aches at the thought of having to let it go.

What should he do?

He had planned to wait another week or so before selling it, but as the day grows nearer, Jimin keeps finding himself making plans to just stash it away beneath his bed, his own little secret treasure to keep.

But he would always remind himself that he didn't do this for the material items he'd find; he did this for the money it would bring.

But now, after everything that has happened - the mental toll this necklace has brought upon him somehow - it seems like he is going to have to take the risk of being caught just to get this thing out of his possession.

Jimin nods to himself, knowing this is what's best.

Tomorrow, Jimin will take off work and drive to a pawn shop a few hours away, and he'll finally be able to get back to normal, hopefully a better normal with a lot more money in his pockets and without eyes he can't see boring into the back of his head any time he looks away.