Vol.19 Ch.12: The Final Struggle

There were many girls who didn't get the chance to participate in the volleyball scrim, so Daniella had plenty of substitutes to choose from to replace Cornelia. All of them were eager to set foot on the court and show their skill in front of the coach. As such, there was no reason to worry about the new substitute's motivation.

With that said, the team's morale as a whole was already in shambles. Clearly, they could already see the fast-approaching defeat. To make things worse, they must have felt like there was nothing they could do about it.

Once the score reached 24-17, there was very little Daniella's team could do to turn the situation around. Furthermore, it was Fiona's turn to serve yet again.

"I am aware that the match is drawing to an end," Fiona said. "However, I would appreciate it if you challenge my serves with everything you have. Remember, the main goal of a practice match is to improve, not to win."

"Yeah," Daniella said. "We plan to stop it at the first one! Right, girls!?"

"Yeah!" "Let's cut it off." "Hopefully..."

The responses varied in enthusiasm but it was clear the girls had no intention of throwing the game. Even if their fighting spirits were reduced to a shell of their former selves at this point, the girls were nonetheless going to challenge Fiona's powerful serves.

"Good." Fiona nodded in satisfaction and headed to the baseline. Then, she fired her serve!

"I-I'll get it!" the new substitute shouted as she dashed toward the ball. Even though Fiona aimed it toward the edge of the court and it looked like a potential out, the girl insisted on going after the ball.

Good. Fiona nodded in satisfaction. It seems like she was paying attention.

"G-Got it!" the girl announced as she successfully bumped the ball into the air. It was not a perfect receive by any means, but it was nonetheless impressive that she handled this difficult server so well on her first try.

"Great job!" Daniella got into position to set the ball. She had to make this opportunity count!

The received ball was swaying to the side, which made things a little difficult. However, this was the best Daniella could realistically expect from a receive against Fiona's serves, so she had to make this work...!

Careful now. Don't rush it. Daniella gulped as she carefully observed both the ball and the team's advancing spikers. Unfortunately, her teammates were a little slow in transitioning from defense to offense so a quick was impossible.

Cornelia is such a convenient spiker in times like these. Daniella smiled wryly. She always dashes to the net before anybody else. The second the ball is received Cornelia is already there, ready to spike anything that's thrown at her.

The only other attacker in the club with the same level of speed was Karen, who was unfortunately playing on the opposite side of the court today. So, Daniella had no choice but to cook something up in this critical moment.

Let's try to fake them out. Daniella carefully examined the two spikers approaching the net. One of them was near the center of the net, whereas the other was going for the far edge,

They're probably expecting me to set to the middle because that'll lead to a faster attack. Daniella deduced from the positions of the enemy blockers. It's a gamble, but let's go for a slower attack here.

Daniella passed the ball toward the center of the net. At first glance, it looked as if it was directed toward the spiker in the middle. The enemy blockers bought into that narrative without thinking twice.