Chapter 12

(Authors Note: These dates are made up. None of this is actually accurate. I know Alan's birthday is on the 21st of February, the letter arrived late, it happens. In this story Alan was born in 1973 so his age is 42. ITS 2015 IN THE BOOK TOO SO MEH. XXO)

We spent the majority of the day in the house watching movies and cuddling. But he ended up getting called due to a difficulty down at the set. He kissed me goodbye and left. I decided to wander around the house. I had lived there for a while but I had never really ventured past the first and second floors. Alan never really brought up the basement or the attic. I decided to wander down to the basement. I flicked the light on and walked down the stairs. I saw a multitude of boxes but there was one in particular that stood out and crouched next to it. It was a large black chest with gold vines engraved into the top. I gently opened it and found some old letters and photos along with a rusted necklace. I took out one of the letters and read it.

February 27, 1996

My son,

Happy Birthday! No I didn't forget. I know that you are older now and that you've done so well but I have sent you some money just in case you need it for any reason. Times are hard out there, Alan and I want to make sure you are safe and sound. I am your mother after all. Stay safe and write soon my boy.

With Love,

Your Mother

I smiled to myself as I gently folded the letter and placed it back into the box. I picked up the letter and the necklace attached to it.

July 18, 1997

Alan,

I know this is formal but I can't seem to be anything more than blunt. Mom is dead. She was old anyhow and I guess her age got the best of her. She sent her love and is not hurt that you were not here. She wanted me to give you her necklace so you could pass it on to Rima. I will write you or call when I know more funeral details. I'm sorry and I love you very much.

Your loving sister,

Sheila

I hadn't heard the noises from upstairs because I turned and saw Alan leaning against the banister. I looked away, staring down at the letter. I felt tears form in my eyes as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Kaycee.." I turned into him, sobbing.

"I'm so sorry." He held me tighter.

"It's alright, love. She was old anyway and I was just about your age. I miss her but I've accepted it. Please don't cry. I hate it when you're upset." I looked up and sighed, kissing him softly.

"I love you." He smiled.

"I love you too, Now, come on. Lets go get something to eat." I nodded and we walked upstairs, shutting off the light and closing the basement door behind us.

(Im sorry its short. next chapter will be longer, i promise xxo love ya'll)