16. An Impossible Mate

Dedicated to bond999 for being such an enthusiastic reader! I love reading the comments you leave on each chapter. Thank you for supporting this story! Stay awesome :D

Also, a special shoutout to crazyreader17594 and nimmzz for having requested this particular POV ;)

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors.

_______

Zuerien's POV

It's not possible!

That was the first thing that always came to my mind every time I laid eyes on this particular human. This human who I couldn't stray my thoughts from. This human who had been created especially for me. This human who was a part of my soul. This human who was mine!

It's not possible!

That had been the dominant thought on my mind the first time I had laid eyes on her. It was not possible for me to have been granted a mate. And yet, there she was, in front of me, looking nothing short of breathtaking as I desperately sought back my self-control in case I lost it and claimed her right there.

When that thought had cleared and denial had passed, I found myself repeating those words again.

It's not possible!

For me to have a mate who was human was inconceivable. I was Alpha King, ruler of the entirety of the vast Werewolf Kingdom and an Alpha Extraordinaire. How could it be that I was mated to someone so fragile? Someone so gentle! She was delicate, what if...what if I hurt her?!

Even the Alpha of Wisdom, Alpha John Penson, could not understand it. Mates were meant to balance each other out. But in this case there was a very obvious gaping discrepancy in power.

And then...

It's not possible!

For a human to accept and come to terms with being the Queen of a race that she probably thought to be a farfetched myth, was highly implausible.

After all, being a Queen, a Luna Queen, was a responsibility far too great, even for someone who had been trained all their lives to take up the role, just as I had been, for the position of the Alpha King.

And yet, fate had played this wicked game and gotten a poor innocent girl involved with a world that was probably too dark and dangerous for her, with a man who was probably too dark and dangerous for her.

So I decided to let her go. To free her from a burden she need never know she was supposed to have borne. The burden of a heavy throne, the burden of a broken Alpha.

And yet, she had upended my understanding of the matter when she had somehow evaded my rejection, involuntarily. That could only mean that her body had recognized that something was going wrong, even when her mind still did not know or understand anything. Her body was already working in tune with the mating bond.

But that...is not possible!

I had needed to shift immediately after she had left my office, drenched and wrapped securely in my jacket. I had needed to clear my head. So I went into the woods and let Kai take over. I ran the entire length of the forest till my nerves had eased slightly and my dilemma had numbed.

But yet again, she sent my heart into a frenzy, when I found her injured and bleeding in the forest against a tree. A forest that she shouldn't have been able to enter. A tree she shouldn't have been able to reach.