37. A Past and A Promise

The amazing cover on the side was made by SpinningMyselfDizzy. Thank you!

Dedicated to kaya_stone for the incredible support you have been showing this story for so long. Thanks darling.

A huge shoutout to wooosh_97 for your amazing support from the very beginning of this story. And also to Alysdremzz for being the most amazing friend ever. Happy birthday my darling! Love you!

WARNING: LOOOONG CHAPTER AHEAD LOL, READ AT YOUR OWN...UH...LEISURE? ^-^'

This chapter is unedited so kindly excuse the grammatical errors.

___

Suzzanah's POV

I rushed out of Luna Prophecy's cottage, trying to blink back my tears. Shards of broken glass lay littered in the lawn around the cottage from when Zuerien's outburst had broken the windows and I hoped no one would injure themselves while walking across it.

I was surprised that no one had come running to ask what the heck had happened. I figured someone had mind-linked the wolves not to worry about it.

I ran down the cobblestone pathway with my head lowered. I didn't even know the way back to my room, but I needed to get away, I needed to be by myself for some time. My face felt flushed and my lips trembled as I desperately tried to keep myself from breaking down in the middle of the pathway.

YOU'LL DO AS YOU'RE TOLD AND THAT'S FINAL

Zuerien's words echoed in my mind and I barely managed to bite back a whimper. I walked as fast as I could, making sure that my hair hid my teary eyed face from prying eyes. I didn't want to break down in front of strangers. I wouldn't let them see how vulnerable I was...to discouragement, to fear, to pain.

Because I had made a promise that no matter what, I would...

I would...

The thought of the next few words brought forth a fresh bout of tears that brimmed my eyes, blurring my vision. They were her motto, the words she had always lived by.

My sister...

I stopped in my tracks at a deserted spot and turned towards the railing, holding on to it as I desperately tried to reel in my turbulent emotions. My sister, my only family, was all alone in a foreign land. She had no one to aid her, no one to rely on. She was all alone in enemy territory, with people who could kill her just for being associated with me. And what could I go?

Nothing!

I couldn't do anything to help my only sister, my own blood!

I rubbed my eyes vigorously with my free hand but the tears continued to stream down my face and over my palm. Images of Karina's face filled my mind and I felt my heart constrict in pain at the thought of my darling sister.

My sister who was in danger, who was probably afraid and who was all alone...

How could Zuerien forbid me to talk to her? How could he expect me to just wait and not do anything? Couldn't he see just how desperate I was? Couldn't he tell how terrified I was for my sister? They could be hurting her right now for all we knew and I couldn't do anything!

God, if something happened to Karina, I would die! I couldn't live without her. I couldn't, I couldn't...

A pained sob escaped my lips as I stood there facing the woods. My hand pressed over my lips to muffle the sound of my weeping. My entire body shuddered as I silently gasped for breath, biting my lips hard to keep myself from crying out loud.