4. Bewildering conversations

A/N

Picture of Mr. Talon Gregor (Steve Carell) on the side. Isn't he cute ^-^

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the errors.

*****

Suzzanah's POV

The minute the word 'Mate' left the CEO's lips, a rush of warmth coursed through my body, and I felt as though something that had been sealed inside of me for a very long time had been awakened.

But that warmth was almost instantly replaced by a cold sweat when every bowed head jerked upwards and I was met with a multitude of shocked and confused stares.

My neck moved stiffly from side to side, like a door hinge in desperate need of oiling, taking in the sight of all those people gaping at me.

What just happened?

In front of me, Master Cole and Mr. Penson were giving me the same shocked stares. Master Cole's gaze shifted from me to the CEO, then back to me again in a short second before he quickly cleared his throat and placed a hand on the CEO's back.

That action caused the CEO to visibly snap out of a daze and he looked away, blinking several times before his shocked expression was replaced by an emotionless one and his gaze returned to mine.

I gulped under his intense stare. Mate? Like friend? I'm pretty sure I didn't know him. Maybe I was supposed to repeat it.

"Ma-", as soon as I started to repeat the word mate, the CEO's eyes went wide in what looked like panic before he yelled out,"Mat-REE!!"

I frowned. Mate-Ree?

"MATREE!!" he yelled again and everyone in the room flinched away in fear and bowed their heads again as a young blonde dressed elegantly in a crisp suit and skirt came tripping down the stairs to stand raggedly in the middle of the parted crowd panting wildly.

"Sir?!" she squeaked shakily.

Matree? I could have sworn the CEO had said Mate.

Every bowed head in the room was throwing confused glances at me and Miss Matree. Mr. Penson and Master Cole were exchanging suspicious glances and a very uncomfortable looking CEO was glaring uncertainly at a breathless and scared looking Matree.

And I was standing in the middle of the sea of confused yet bowed people with my body bowed but head raised, unsure of which action to completely follow through. I must have been looking like a duck, a constipated duck.

"What took you so long?" the CEO barked out, "do I have to install loud speakers in your room now for you to hear me?"

"S-s-sorry S-s-sir", she stammered out looking just as confused as she looked scared.

"I have work for you", he replied stiffly before giving her some business related orders, and all the while he kept throwing side glances my way. And somehow, judging by his expression he looked like he really desperately wanted to avoid looking at me.

Well he was doing a banged up job of it so far, I thought frowning at his rude behavior towards Miss Matree. But before I could glare at him some more a hand landed on my head pushing it down into the sea of bowed heads.

I struggled to get free but a familiar nasal whisper made me stop my thrashing.

"Miss Winters!" Mr. Talon whisper-yelled," what in the name of all things well mannered and obedient do you think you are you doing?! Do you want to die?"

I scrunched up my eyebrows, "Mr. Talon, now you're exaggerating. He won't kill me for not bowing to him, that's crazy"

"You're right! Killing you will be one of the better punishments he could ever give you! He will probably do much worse", he whispered shaking his head vigorously in panic, "Always bow in front of your superiors I said, you stuck your head out like a lawn mole! Don't even make eye contact I said, you glared at him as though you had lasers coming out of your eyes! Do you even realise what your actions can get us both into?"