eighteen

Winnie, departed from the Preserve to keep whatever cover she had left, was swimming laps in her house pool. A wrist band clocked her heart rate and wireless headphones dulled her senses.

Water logged for an hour, she was still going strong.

That was, until her whole body cramped at once in mid stride.

Winnie broke the surface with a gasp, grabbing the board above the deep end. She tore off her goggles, panting with wild eyes. Quickly, she clammered out of the pool in her black Nike one piece.

She pulled out her headphones and took off the fitbit, leaving both by her belly button ring and sketch pad on a small table. Drying off her hands, she quickly opened her sketchbook and bared down with a charcoal pencil.

Flecks of chlorinated water speckled the page, only making the scene more disturbing.

Winnie snapped out of her haze two sketches later, she coughed as she quickly grabbed her phone.

But Scott didn't pick up, nor did Allison.

Thankfully, Stiles did.

"Jesus-" Winnie raked a hand through her damp hair as she heard the buzzcut boy pick up. "Are you there? Are you by the van?"

"No, I'm on my way though-"

"Jackson's going to get out, if he hasn't already."

Stiles swore verbally, starting to run. He skidded to a stop, ruffling leaves. "God damn-" He sighed stressfully, "He's gone."

"I thought Allison and Scott were watching him?"

"I'm pretty sure they spent their time differently." Stiles grumbled, spotting Allison's car. "I'm gonna get them up. I'll keep you updated. Thanks, Win."

"Stiles, there's something else," Winnie spoke up before he could end the call. "I also drew your dad - at the station. He, uh, he doesn't look too happy."

Stiles inwardly sighed, "Thanks for the heads up. Anything else?"

Winnie stared down at the third drawing of hers, running a finger along it. "No, no that's it."

The call hung up, Winnie setting her phone on the table. She raked both of her hands through her hair, closing her eyes briefly.

"Do you always lie to your friends?"

Winnie looked up, startled as she saw Isaac outside of the glass walls surrounding the pool. Hesitant, Winnie pushed open the door between them.

Like more than once, they hadn't exactly parted on good terms.

Winnie slid on a track jacket, still in her swimsuit.

Isaac stepped into the slightly humid pool room, shutting the door behind him. "How come you lied to Stiles?" he asked as he pocketed his hands in his jeans. He was void of his usual leather, in a blue long sleeve.

Winnie halfly glanced to her sketchbook, "It didn't concern him." She shut the book before Isaac could look. "It's about my dad. There are other things Stiles needs to worry about." She met eyes with Isaac, "So, what are you doing here?"

"After waking up in the substation next to a paralyzed Erica, I thought twice about whether or not Stiles knew what he was talking about," said Isaac in a tone less familiar when he was wearing leather.

Winnie hesitated, lifting an eyebrow. "You lost me."

Isaac's eyes flickered sideways before returning to her. "I heard him say that you were probably distracting me."