Kidnap

At seven o'clock, my mom still wasn't home and we were getting hungry. I went to close my curtains when I saw something nerve shaking. My heart sank and my hands started to tremble. I stared out my window, almost unable to speak. I crinkled my eyebrows as I stared outside.

         "What's wrong?" Ethan asked.

           "Why do you think there is a black Mustang in my driveway?" I asked staring at the car.                     

            Then the power went out and it was pitch dark. I even thought I heard footsteps, but that could have been my mind playing with me. I knew it wasn't my mom or dad or they would have called out. I didn't know of anyone with that car, so it wasn't anyone I knew. I felt my hands begin to shake and my heart started to race. My eyes adjusted to the darkness, but that didn't help calm my nerves.

          "He's here." I whispered, tears filling in my eyes.

         "Anyone have their cell phone? Mine is dead." Ethan asked.

          "Mine is downstairs by Kelly's." Maddie said.

          "We have to hide." I said, trying to remain calm.

           There weren't many places to hide in my room though. My bed and closet were the only places. I knew those were cliche hiding spots but where else were we supposed to hide? I knew going downstairs was a mistake because the kidnapper was most likely down there. My palm started to sweat and tears lingered in my eyes. I didn't want to die. I wanted my dad to come home early and save us. 

           I tried pinching myself, praying this was all a dream, but sadly, this was far from a dream. We all squeezed under my queen sized bed as footsteps echoed throughout the house. My breathing picked up in pace and looking at Maddie and Ethan, they were just as terrified. I didn't want to believe this was really happening. No one thinks they would be abducted. Why did he want me? I wanted to cry but didn't want to be heard by the intruder.        

         I tried to think positive like maybe it was my neighbor or someone from my dad's work coming to check on me. Please let it be someone I know. If that was the case, why wouldn't they call out for me and why would the power be off? The footsteps stopped and my bedroom door opened slowly. The intruder wore black boots and had black pants on. I couldn't see that well because of the dark but I was pretty sure he was wearing dark shoes and pants.

         He had a flashlight with him and was shining it throughout the room. I glanced over at Ethan who was next to me and Maddie who was next to Ethan. I could see the fear in their eyes, but that's about all I could see. I felt Ethan's hand grab onto mine, giving it a tight, reassuring squeeze.

          The man walked over to my desk where I had several pictures of me and Maddie and then pictures of my family. He picked one up of Maddie and I that was taken a year ago, it was of us at our eighth grade graduation which we dressed formally for. He looked at it and I swear I saw a smile on his face. He looked around the rest of my room, even in my closet. He didn't check under my bed though which sickened me. Why did he look at my picture like that? He hadn't bothered checking the rest of the room before he left.

       "Guys, we need to get outside." I whispered, making sure the man couldn't hear me.

          They nodded and we slid out from under the bed. I tried so hard not to make the creaking sound when I walked on the floor. I glanced out into the hall way and saw his flashlight in my parent's room. I nodded at my friends, not knowing if they saw. We walked out into the hallway and down the stairs, my heart racing the entire time. What if he heard us and saw us trying to leave? I wanted to go back and hide somewhere but our best option was to get out of the house. Once we were downstairs, we quietly ran to the front door. I went to turn the handle but when I did, I was shocked.