The Gathering

I heard the rattling of the lock as it was being unlocked. The door opened slowly and the man walked in. I was sitting on my bed and had just woken up from a nap a couple minutes ago. I brought my knees to my chest as he sat down in front of me, wishing he wouldn't come any closer to me. My heart rate started to pick up in pace as he got closer to me.

                "Hello, Kelly." He said.

                 "Hi." I whispered, causing him to smile.

                "Okay, so we are having a guest today, a friend of mine. I have asked everyone to put on a dress and you'll be able to come out of this room. If you don't dress up, you'll stay in here and die. You won't see me again." He threatened, his stern voice echoing the room.

              This was my chance to get out and find an escape route. All I had to do was put on a dress. Who was his friend though? Was he someone like the man who abducted me? There was the possibility of turning the friends against each other, that is if the friend wasn't a kidnapper and killer.

              I was happy and nervous by the offer the man gave me. Sure I didn't want to die so I wouldn't hesitate to wear a dress. I needed to get out of this room and see other people, make sure my friends are safe. Then there was the chance to see the other girls who had been abducted for longer than I have. If we all charged him and his friend out there, we could escape? No, they probably have guns and wouldn't hesitate shooting us. I would just have to wait to see where I was once I was out of this god awful room.

            "What are you thinking?" He asked, catching me off guard.

             I had got caught thinking of a plan, hadn't I? I didn't say anything so he said, "When you go out there, I'll be with you the whole time. I know about your fighting skills. Kelly, you aren't escaping."

              That's what he thinks. He got up and said, "I'll be back soon for you." Then he left my room. I really didn't want to put on a dress but I had to. I walked over to the closet and tried to figure out what dress to wear. I didn't want to wear a long dress that I would trip over if I walked so I went with one of the shorter dresses. If I could escape, I didn't want to be running away while tripping on a dress. I had an advantage of running track, if there was an opening for an escape, I'd take it.

              I looked at the short dresses, I decided with the dress that was royal pink that had the ribbon and a flower on the waist. It was a cute dress and I would be happy to wear it if I wasn't forced too. I pulled the dress out of the closet and started to take off my clothes. I worried that he would walk in so I quickly rushed to get the dress on. Once it was on, I ran my fingers through my hair to get some tangles out, not sure who I wanted to look better for the man but maybe I could get on his good side and lower his suspicions of me.

            I didn't have to wear heels thankfully; I wore my gym shoes that I had on when I was taken. I was just happy he didn't have a pair of heels for me to wear because there was no way I could run in heels. The dress went just a little over my knees, a normal homecoming dress maybe. The reason I went to homecoming at school was because Maddie made me. I smiled, remembering when Maddie told me that she would disown me as a friend if I made her go to homecoming alone. Knowing it would make her happy, I sucked it up and went to the dance.

               I sat down on the bed and waited for the man to come back and get me. As much as I wanted to leave this hellhole, I needed to play this smart. I couldn't rush into things that would get me killed. Just being out of this cramped room would give me a sense of relaxation. I swear it seems as if the walls of the room keep closing in on me. I normally didn't have claustrophobia but the longer I'm in this room, the worse it gets.