Tricked

I woke as the sun peeked in through the window causing the sunlight to directly hit my face. I realized that I was alone in bed and relief that he was gone filled inside of me. There weren't any noises coming from the rest of the house which caused the curiosity inside me to come out. I slid over to the side of the bed and placed my feet on the cold, wooden floor. I quietly walked to the door and placed my hand on the doorknob. Did I really want to open the door? I could just lay in bed until I had to get out of bed or until someone came in.

              I decided that I needed to face whoever was in the house and not hide in bed. I opened the door and walked out to the living room and kitchen. There was no one here. I looked outside to see that the boat was gone. What if they left me here to die? How long would I be able to survive if they never came back? I jumped and let out a yelp when a hand touched my shoulder. I whirled around to see Brooke standing behind me.

            "Sorry." She muttered, holding her hands up in the air.

            "It's fine, you just scared me. Where are they?" I asked, ignoring my racing heart.

            "Not sure but the boat is gone." She replied as she went to sit on the couch.

               I joined her on the couch. We hadn't had much alone time together so it was nice to be able to see her and talk with her with the fear that the guys were around.

            "How are you?" I bravely asked, knowing that answer probably wasn't good.

              She frowned and hesitated before answering, "I've been better, some days are better than others."

             "Do you think there is any way out of here?" She randomly asked after minutes of silence between the two of us.

              "There has to be. We can't be here forever." I said, trying to be hopeful.

            "What was your dad like?" She asked, catching me off guard.

               I glanced at her in surprise and didn't answer. I had been trying to forget that about my dad. Out of all the things we could talk about I didn't think she would bring that up. I tried holding back my tears not wanting to think about that.

              "I'm so stupid, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything." She frowned, shaking her head as she avoided eye contact with me.

              "No, it's fine. Um, he was my hero. I was more of a daddy's girl than a mommy's girl. My dad and I spend a lot of time together and we were extremely close. He was a police officer, of course, and the best dad I could have asked for. I just wish that he didn't have to die the way he did. I wish there was something I could have done to save him." I frowned and my voice faded out as a tear fell down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away, not wanting to start sobbing.

               "It's not your fault, there wasn't anything you could have done without getting yourself hurt or killed." She said.

              This was the most I had ever heard Brooke talk, mainly because she was terrified of Marcus. I had just started to notice how beautiful she was even with the dirt-covered clothes and skin. We hadn't gotten to clean up since our kidnapping so we probably looked more terrible than we thought.

            "How about we both take a shower before they come back." I said trying to change the subject off of my father.

             She nodded, looking down at her dirt-covered  hands as I said, "You can go first, I'm sure though that it will feel great to finally shower."