Letters

I watched, sadly, as the car pulled away from the graveyard, leaving my parents with it. Why did this seem like the end rather than the beginning? My emotional limits had been pushed and all I needed was to see the notes my dad left me. Robbins told me that the box of letters would be waiting for me back at my house in my room. She had dropped it off after I had already left for the funeral this morning.

              It seemed like eternity before we arrived back home. I bolted out of the car and into the hotel as fast as I could. Ever since I found out there were letters from my dad, I needed to read them. I rushed to my room, slamming and locking my door in the process. I needed to be alone for this. The box was sitting on my bed and I took a deep breath before sitting next to the box. On top was a piece of paper saying, "Don't open the letters that haven't happened yet."

          I wasn't sure what that meant so I set that piece of paper down and looked at the first letter on the front, it read, "To my Sweet Sixteen Daughter." I hadn't turned sixteen yet so I understood that I needed to wait to read that letter until then that day. I pulled out another letter and it said, "To my eighteen year old daughter." There were nine more letters and on the front of them said, "To my twenty one year old daughter. Wedding Day. To my daughter's soul mate. To my grandchildren. Graduation Day. To Ethan. To my present day daughter. One year after my death. And whenever you need to remember me letter." I opened the, "To my present day daughter," letter and began to read it.

            "Dear Kelly, I see you are probably getting this after my funeral. I love you more than anything in this world. Don't worry about anything right now because things will get better, I promise. I know I died young and I surely wasn't planning it but I need you to be strong and move on from this horrid tragedy that struck us. I knew that trying to save you could be deadly so yes, I spent all day while you were gone, writing these letters just in case you never saw me again. Please don't read these letters until the day comes. Please keep running because you are a very talented runner and I don't want this to ruin that for you. I hope you become the world fastest runner or something awesome like that. I want you to grow up happy and I will always be in your heart. I love you Kel. I'll be looking over you every day, helping you when you need me. I expect great things from you and don't let a psychopath like Kyle ruin you. Never give up in life and remember that no matter how alone you feel, you have several people that love and care for you. I love you again so much, more than you will never know until you are a mother. Goodbye, my sweet girl. Love, Dad."

            Even when I thought I couldn't cry anymore, a few tears rushed down my pale cheeks. He was such a good dad, it's a tragedy that he's really gone. I used to think his overprotectiveness was annoying but I'd do anything to have him back again. There was still one other letter that I could read and it was the, "Whenever you need to remember me letter." I ripped it open the letter and paused before starting to read. A part of me wanted to stop remembering him for a day, just so the pain of losing him would go away. I decided against that.

           "Dear Kelly, I bet you are reading this letter because you miss me a lot and need to remember some good times with me, well here it goes. Do remember the day I taught you how to ride a bike? Yes, I bet you are smiling right now. I bet you remember how you ran over my foot when riding and broke one of my toes. Sure, you learned quickly but I probably still have a scar on my foot from you. Um, another time was when we were throwing a football to each other and you hit me square in the chest and I fell to the ground. I always knew you were athletic but damn, you really had a good throw.

            I loved when we always used to go running together and you would always race me and usually beat me. How funny is it that a daughter can beat her police officer dad in a race. I should have been the one winning but I guess I was getting too old to keep up with my girl. But it was worth losing to see the grin on your face every time you beat me. You were always a competitive one that's for sure.