~ Two ~

"There you go Mr Park," I handed him a cup of tea and sat on the sofa opposite, next to Emy.

We pulled a blanket around us, we'd both caught a chill but whether it was the events of the night, or how long we'd been stood outside in the cold, we didn't know. I was just hoping we didn't get sick, that would just be the icing on the cake that was our rubbish night.

"Thank you, Cassandra, I know it's late but this cannot wait."

He took a sip of tea and set it down on the coffee table, as though readying himself for what he was about to say. His green eyes seemed to get darker and more intense the longer he sat there.

"I suppose the first thing I should do is introduce myself to you, properly. My name is not Mr Park, it's Merkell. I know it sounds a little peculiar, but that's because I'm not from around here, in fact I'm from very, very far away. I'm sorry I lied to you but it was necessary in order to keep you safe."

Emy and I looked at each other, frowning in our shared confusion. A theme of weirdness seemed to be following us around. Mr Park, or whatever he wanted to be called, seemed to sense our feelings because he rushed to carry on.

"No, not safe from me. I mean you no harm, quite the contrary actually, I was sent here to protect you... Although I seem to have been slacking recently, as tonight prov-"

"Wait, wait, wait," I interrupted him. "What do you mean, you were sent here to protect us? By who and from what?!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose when a sudden thought occurred to me. "And why do I have a feeling you know a lot more about those guys who were outside the party?"

I was starting to grow agitated, I hated being lied to and being kept in the dark about things, especially important things.

"I know you have a lot of questions, both of you, and I will answer them but please let me explain a few things first."

He seemed to be asking, rather than telling us. I looked at Emy, she had grown quiet since we'd got in and it wasn't like her. She was usually the first to speak out when something wasn't quite right, she didn't usually hold back and it took her a few seconds to come around.

"I think you might need to pinch me, because this whole night feels like one messed up dream." Her gaze never left the coffee table.

I reached over to pinch her playfully and she jerked away.

"I didn't mean for you to actually do it."

She rolled her eyes but I could see a smile forming.

"Okay, go ahead Mr P- whatever you're calling yourself." Emy shrugged when he tried to correct her.

"Where should I begin?" He seemed to be speaking more to himself than us at first, "Dear me, well I should ask you the basic question. The one I need to know the answer to first before we proceed. Do either of you believe in other worlds, besides the one we occupy right now?" He looked serious and I didn't know what to make of it.

Emy laughed loudly, "Mr Park, Merkell or whatever, have you lost your marbles?" I stifled a laugh at her, she had no filter, saying whatever came to mind without thinking.

"No, Emily, I have not lost any marbles, I am being very serious and I told you this is important."

"Well of course there are other planets, we all know that, it's primary school stuff," Emy waved it off.

She seemed to think that was the end of this bizarre conversation. She was getting comfier and it looked like she was getting ready to sleep.

"I didn't say planets, Emily, I said worlds, as in other planes of existence separate but connected to this one."