~ Forty-one ~

I raced upstairs before anyone could speak to me, I half hoped Blaike would come after me but he didn't and I breathed heavily as I knocked on Emy's door. It didn't take her long to answer and she looked more bright eyed than I expected.

"You don't look as hungover as I thought you would," I said, leaning against her doorframe.

"Someone left water by my bed and I called down for breakfast early this morning." I kicked myself for not thinking of that in the state I was in earlier. "But you, you look a little off..." She remarked with a surveying glance at me.

"Gee thanks, but that has nothing to do with the drinking. I need to talk to you about something."

She pulled me into her room and closed the door behind us. I told her all about what happened with Blaike; the kiss at the party, which she squealed at, then everything in the dining room. She swore loudly at Kaleb and Kayle for interrupting us.

By the time I was finished, she seemed more flustered by it than I had been.

"You should have just kissed him, right then and there by the window. It's obvious he really likes you and we both know you've liked him since you met him."

"Have we?"

"Oh come off it, Cass. You were constantly staring at him and getting annoyed at him when he didn't really do anything wrong. You even said it yourself you feel connected to him."

"But how do I know if it's real? It could just be the prophecy, we need to be connected to destroy Riltresik, remember?"

Emy laughed, "I don't think it meant connected in a lip lock though," she giggled.

"So you don't feel anything like that towards Kaleb? Not even a little bit?"

Emy shook her head, "Not even a fraction of a little bit, we're just good friends and believe me, I'm not his type." She seemed to find that part extra amusing.

If she didn't have feelings for Kaleb in the same way, that had to mean mine and Blaike's feelings were most likely real. My heart skipped and I felt my cheeks go red, which made Emy squeal again.

"You have to go talk to Blaike and sort this whole thing out, right now."

"I can't, we have our magic lesson soon and there's nowhere private to talk around here."

"Oh yeah, okay I'll find a way to sort it out for you," and she jumped off the sofa, heading for the door.

I ran after her, "Emy, don't you dare! Emy!"

I chased her down the stairs but she had a lead on me, she reached the dining room and was sat down before I got there. To my surprise everyone else had gone, she was there alone and shovelling food into her mouth.

"Don't worry, I didn't mean right now or even today... I can be discreet." She spoke between mouthfuls and I snorted, Emy didn't know the meaning of the word. 

It didn't take long for her to finish eating and we were back out in the garden for our magic lesson. Merkell was already out there with the guys, I caught Blaike's eye immediately and the tension was almost unbearable. I calmed my breathing and tried not to think about the fact that Merkell could probably sense whatever was going on between Blaike and myself.

He didn't comment on it if he did know, he just began the lesson with a review of our test with Dummy-Riltresik the day before. He was still very proud of how we handled things, he had given us some of his best magic and we'd managed not to get hurt.

"As I have said before, it will be much harder in reality and Riltresik and his Dark Menaces will hold nothing back."

"Why do you keep saying that?" I asked when something nagged at me about his words.