~ Twenty-seven ~

When I reached the palomino mare, she whinnied loudly and I could have sworn she was happy to see me. Emy had walked over to watch but she was keeping her distance for some reason. I reached out the hand with feed in it for the mare and she ate it all up, I noticed her fangs but she was careful not to catch me with them.

Suddenly, someone shouted from across the garden and I peered around as the mare lifted her head. A woman in full riding gear was running towards us with a wooden club in one hand. I looked at her in shock and stepped between her and the mare, wondering what she planned to do with that club.

"You were told not to go near the horses. Do you not listen to instruction?"

She was a young woman, maybe late twenties by my reckoning but she was stern looking and her grey eyes never left the horses as she neared us.

"I was and I do, but they were hungry and I couldn't help myself, they're not dangerous."

I was a little agitated by this woman, they were only horses but even as I thought it, my mind zipped back to the barn when Blaike had told me that mare's could rip limps off. This mare was just like the other, she didn't mind me going near her but I had a feeling she did not like that club.

"Not dangerous? Do you know anything about horses? They are particularly temperamental and can be quite vicious, especially the females. This mare could have taken your hand off and then some... wait just one moment, you were feeding her and she took it? No missing limbs or digits?"

I shrugged and the woman looked baffled, she moved towards the mare who reared up and snorted angrily.

The woman narrowed her eyes, "Go near her again, but be careful and be ready to move when I tell you."

I rolled my eyes and moved towards the mare. She was staring at me and lowered her head to get a stroke when I got close enough.

The woman gasped in astonishment and I glanced sideways at her.

"What is it?"

She shook her head, "Nobody gets near a mare, especially while she's foaling. We had to take her foal for shoes this morning and she nearly trampled two of my men. Yet she treats you like one of her own, I would like you to do something for me before we begin our lesson."

I felt like a performing monkey and peered at Emy who just shrugged, she looked as confused and intrigued as the woman staring at me for an answer.

"Alright and what would that be?"

"My name is Jessup, I am head horse trainer, rider and carer for the whole of Dumair. My team and I must deal with mares like this one causing trouble on a regular basis, we have injuries and sometimes even deaths. I have never in all my years seen a mare react like that, I want you to saddle her up with my instruction."

I frowned at her, "I don't know... but maybe if you didn't use a club then she wouldn't be so aggressive."

Jessup looked at the club and smiled a fraction, "We do not use these on the horses. They are a barrier, something for the mares to bite that is not someone's leg or torso."

I still didn't like it but they had to use something for protection I supposed, I sighed and agreed to saddle up the horse. I opened the stable door as instructed by Jessup and grabbed the reins already around the mare's neck.

"Now, ease her out carefully but if she starts to struggle then let her go and we will get her back later."

I nodded to Jessup and proceeded to gently tug on the reins, the mare responded immediately and trotted out of the stable, stopping exactly when I wanted her to.