~ Thirty-eight ~

We stood in motionless silence for some time; Merkell's words were like a warm breeze that settled over you and soaked into your skin. I believed every word he said without question, which was a new experience for me. His eyes roamed over the five of us but stopped when they reached Kayle and we looked down the line.

"I wondered when this would become relevant to me, sir" Kayle said with a light smirk, I could tell the words had hit him too though.

"Kayle, you are no exception to my words, you may not have magic but you are every bit a part of this as the others. You must also learn to understand magic, you must know how it works and how to help in the event that things go wrong and your Slingers will be of no use. Come closer, all of you, I need to tell you something very crucial to your position, that only a handful of people in the whole of Nentarli know."

We grouped around Merkell and he waved a hand around us, suddenly a translucent blue bubble appeared around us and I raised a brow at the others.

Blaike gestured towards the bubble, "It is a magical bubble, nobody can see or hear us, it does not last very long however."

Emy and I nodded our understanding, we were to be quiet and let Merkell explain what he needed to say before the bubble popped.

"If time was not of the essence I would not be telling you this yet, but Kayle must know his full role before we can proceed. Kayle, do you know what a vessel is?"

Kayle tilted his head like Emy did sometimes, "You mean like a ship?"

"Or something that can hold, water for example?" I asked out loud without meaning to, I think I knew where Merkell was going with his words.

"Almost, yes but have you ever heard of a human vessel?" The others shook their heads but I knew my thoughts were going in the right direction and Merkell smiled at me. "I think you have the idea, don't you, Cassandra? Yes, Kayle could become a vessel to any one of you and your magic if the occasion demanded it. This is a very closely kept secret because it can be fatal to the vessel themselves."

I frowned at him while the others tried to soak it all in, "But a vessel isn't supposed to be harmed by whatever it's holding. That's the whole point of it being a vessel for something."

Merkell nodded, "Yes that is true, please let me finish, it is fatal in those who do not know what they are doing. Imagine if Riltresik's forces knew this was possible? They could give magic to any person they wished and once they tried to use it they would kill themselves in the process. It cleans up their mess quite nicely and leaves very little evidence. However, with the proper training, Kayle could become a successful vessel to the four of you and help whenever you will need it."

"I still do not understand how that would work, and not kill me in the process? I know magic users can give strength and magic to each other willingly but how is it going to help the others if they can give me magic to hold onto?" Kayle was frowning deeply, and I could understand why he'd be worried.

Unlike when Kaleb gave Blaike strength against Merkell back in our world, they were both magic users and Kayle isn't. I wouldn't do something that could potentially kill him just so he could help us magically, he had much better skills he could utilise that wouldn't kill him.

"It will not kill you once I have instructed you, it is only deadly to the untrained or those who purposely wish another harm. Do you trust, myself, Kaleb, Blaike, Emily and Cassandra?" Merkell asked in a serious tone, eyeing Kayle closely.

"Yes, with my life but-"

"Then there is no question it will work, we will start small with just a little magic at a time. Once they have learned more and once you understand magic to its fullest, you will see how it will help to give some of their magic to you. In due time, but you must know that I would not put you in such a predicament if I did not believe you could handle it."