~ Forty-eight ~

Emy had only managed to get a little ahead of us. Kayle caught up with her first and picked her up so she couldn't go any further. She fought with him, kicking out to the point that he almost dropped her. But he passed her to Kaleb and her fighting didn't faze him in the slightest.

"Kaleb, put me down! My dad needs our help, put me down now!"

She was punching his chest but he didn't seem to feel it.

"Emy, that's not your dad, listen to the voice, it doesn't remotely sound like him. It's all wrong."

But she wasn't having any of it, the voice was still shouting for help and I could see that she was hurting deeply.

"Emily, that is not him, he could not have survived the centre of a blast like that. You are being led into another trap, calm down and we will face it together." Kayle's voice was soothing but firm.

Emy stopped punching Kaleb while she listened, she must have heard the sense he was making.

She frowned, I could see the calls for help were still hurting her. "Fine, let's get this stupid crap sorted, but then I'm going home and I mean home."

I knew exactly what she meant but I had to put it out of my mind for now and we turned to the sound of the voice. Kaleb lowered Emy down so she could walk but he kept a hold of her hand, just in case.

The ground was becoming more hilly the further we walked and we rounded one hill to find a body laid up against a bigger mound facing us a few feet away. It looked like Alacor, it was almost identical to him in every way, but the eyes were closed and the blood stain marking the torso was red, not black.

I almost ran over to him myself but I held back while Kaleb held onto Emy, she didn't try to get away though. She was staring at the body of what was meant to be her dad, tears cascaded down her face. The voice called for help again but shocked us all when it didn't come from the body in front of us.

A figure rounded the far hill and it also looked like Emy's dad, confusion spread between us but none of us took our eyes off of it. There were two now, only the new one was fine and its black eyes were watching us with fascination. It was smirking as it stopped next to its injured counterpart.

"I do not see why we had to save this pathetic lump," the creature spoke with a cracked version of Alacor's voice.

"Because we were told to," came another voice.

Another figure came around from the other side of the hill and I almost dropped to the ground. A creature wearing my mum's likeness, was walking out to stand beside the fake Alacor. I was confused and terrified, why were they pretending to be our parents?

"We do as we are told," yet another figure walked around a hill, closer to Blaike and he gasped when he saw it.

I didn't recognise who it was but Blaike seemed to, and so did Kaleb, who had let go of Emy. It was a woman, she looked kind of familiar but the black eyes threw me off.

"Mother," Blaike whispered and my eyes widened as I looked from him to the Horror.

The creature was using a likeness of Blaike's deceased mother and I couldn't think of anything more cruel.

That is until the next two figures came out, the first was a man as tall as Kaleb and looked like his older twin, I assumed it was meant to be his dad. The last one broke my heart into pieces however; standing in front of Kayle was a creature replica of his mum, Arissa. Besides the black eyes, she looked exactly like the portrait in my parents suite.

Kayle looked like his world had fallen apart, I think if she had appeared first he might have actually run to her. The Horrors were all staring at their individual partners with equal parts malice and amusement. I only saw the creature, not my mum, but I knew the others were struggling to see through the faces of the parents they had lost.