~ Twenty-one ~

Telling our parents that we were willing to do what everyone wanted wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I thought they'd be thrilled we were doing it but I was so very wrong. They had been talking all night and realised they didn't know what their children were getting into. The minute we told them our decision, they began shaking their heads in disagreement and their expressions were less than happy.

We met with them in the dining room for breakfast, everything had already been served by the time the five of us arrived, together. We sat down in unison next to the parents and explained that we'd agreed to do what we must to help this world. They shared guarded glances and my parents looked at me with worry.

"We have been talking and we are not sure you all should be doing this. You were correct in what you said last night, we know nothing about what you will have to do and we do not want to lose you to Riltresik and his Dark forces."

I wanted to scream in frustration at the turn around, they had been going on since we'd arrived about us saving this world and now they didn't want us to do it?

"You're kidding, right? You've been talking about it non-stop since we got here and now you've changed your minds when we've already committed ourselves to doing it?" Emy asked and I could hear just as much frustration in her voice as I felt inside.

Alacor shifted in his seat, "Now that we have you here and our memories are fully restored, we know how bad things were before. We do not want you to have to go through those things, much less purposely put you in harms way."

The other parents nodded at his words and I had this unusual urge to throw a piece of toast at each of them.

"We've talked it through though, last night and this morning, in great length and as you said before it is our decision to make. It's scary and unfair to ask this of five young adults but you asked and we've replied. We'll be as careful as we can and watch each other's backs. If we don't do this, then we're in harms way anyway when the rampage of bad guys comes through... if they don't kidnap us first. It's decided now and we're not going back on it, I'm sorry if it worries you but you've got plenty of time to get used to it... how long is a season, anyway?"

I finished nonchalantly and reached for some of the toast that was somehow still hot on the platter in front of me. I hadn't felt that confident in a long time but after speaking with the others that morning about our decision, I knew we were doing the right thing. They all looked at me with the same agreeable smile and reached for their own breakfast.

"It covers around three months usually, it just depends on the weather from year to year," Kayle responded with a smirk, pouring himself some oat-like cereal.

It was another few minutes and a shared look between the parents before all four of them smiled widely. I had to wonder if they'd become slightly unbalanced since coming back here.

"It is wonderful to hear that you all feel this way, I had hoped you wouldn't bow down to our little ruse."

I blinked back surprise at my mum's words, for starters it didn't sound anything like her but mostly I couldn't believe exactly what she had said.

Emy raised her brow, "You mean you were pretending to not like that we had decided to do it?"

The four of them nodded.

"Of course, we had to make sure you came to this decision fully, of your own volition, with no pressure from us and that you were sure even if we weren't. It was the only way for us to know if you really wanted to do this, and now we know that you do." Colensa said it all with a very wide smile, mostly aimed at Emy which she didn't return.