~ Twenty-eight ~

The morning went way too fast for my liking. Emy and I had managed to have breakfast and were still looking over the outfits she had made when we were sent for. I was so happy with my outfit that I didn't let myself get annoyed that they'd sent a servant for us. We met with everyone in the dining room so we could go over the travel plans for the journey.

We had to go through different scenarios in case something went wrong; my parents and Emy's, Blaike, Kaleb and Kayle were all there, as were two men and two women I hadn't seen before. They stood quietly to the side of the parents, they were listening and nodding with the plan like they already had it memorised.

Once they'd gone through the plans multiple times, we were told to go pack a bag. Which had me wondering just how long we would be gone for, however nobody stayed still long enough for me to ask.

Before I knew it, we were being requested back downstairs to get ready for our departure. The guys arrived shortly after and they were fixing weapons to their belts. Emy and I stood in the hallway while everyone milled around getting ready to go. My dad went over the plan one more time but it hadn't changed and we recited parts of it back to him when asked.

My mum and Emy's had changed clothes since we'd last seen them, they were wearing similar outfits to ours, dark leggings and light coloured blouses. Each had a brooch attached to the collar of theirs and had their hair fashioned into a side swoop of curls. They came over to us while everyone was still fussing, I thought they were going to lecture us about the travel plan but instead they ushered us away from the main group.

Once they knew we were far enough away, they huddled us together and held out a sword each. They were remarkable, not as small as daggers but they weren't full length swords either. They were different to any of the weapons we had seen in our weapons lessons. Silver blades flashed up at us, ending in bronze handles that looked to be just the right size for our hands. Each one had different detailing and patterns around the pommel and hilt. The scabbards were brown and unassuming, I could tell they were designed to look less impressive than they actually were.

"Keep these Short-Swords attached to you at all times, wherever you have to hide them. We want you to be well protected if anything happens to go wrong." My mum explained in a rushed voice barely above a whisper.

"And do not let anyone know you have these, we had them specially made for the two of you but if anyone knew you had them without full training, they would take them away. However, we have faith in you that you would not stab someone by accident." Emy's mum rolled her eyes and we all shared a smile.

I knew I would be able to hide mine under my cloak or in the back of the outfit that Emy had made, but her dress wouldn't give her much room to hide anything. I voiced that concern and Emy just smiled enigmatically.

"I know what to do, don't worry."

We fastened the sword belt around our waists discreetly, hiding the sword by our sides, hugged and then returned to the group. They looked at us expectantly but Colensa waved it aside.

"We needed a mother-daughter moment, we are ready now."

She didn't technically lie but I was surprised at how well she covered it up, even to her own husband and he just accepted it. I had always seen Emy's parents as innocent and a little oblivious, but now I was starting to see whole different sides to them and I was intrigued.

I smiled at Emy when I saw the impressed look on her face and we walked into formation behind Kayle.

I whispered to Emy, "Don't accidentally stab Kayle on our way out, please."

I chuckled at the mischievous smile that played on her lips, "I can't make any promises."

We shared a giggle and Kayle looked back at us with narrowed eyes, we played it off and shrugged as my dad got everyone else into formation.