~ Five ~

It started to get dark while we waited for Merkell, our bags were done and set by our feet. He didn't say how long he would be and we were getting a little bored watching the hours tick by. Emy was sat playing on her phone, some app or game she'd recently downloaded that had her hooked.

I usually pulled a book out at times like this but I was too fidgety and worried, plus my favourites were stuffed down into my bag. It was full to the brim and I didn't feel like repacking it.

I looked at the clock to see that it was getting very late.

"Maybe he's not coming tonight and we can just go to bed... or he's not coming back at all, or-"

A knock at the front door stopped the rest of my sentence. Emy put the her phone away and went to get the door, she came back in a second later followed by Merkell.

"Hello, Cassandra."

"Hi, we weren't sure if you were coming back."

"I am sorry, my packing and preparations took a lot longer than expected, are you all packed then?"

He checked the weight of our bags, apparently he approved and decided to take a seat on the sofa.

"You should sit and relax a little, we're not going until it is late enough that nobody will be around."

He settled back in his seat and Emy slumped down next to me. Neither of us knew what to say or do, it wasn't as though this kind of situation happened every day. Luckily Merkell seemed to know how to break the atmosphere that was developing.

"Do you have any questions about the journey before we set off?" He asked in a way that suggested he already knew and was giving us the opportunity to ask.

"Yes," I answered first, "Why couldn't our parents travel with us? What kind of mission makes them leave their kids behind? Surely bigger numbers would be safer."

His answer was instant, like he'd been expecting it, his tone serious.

"I thought that might have been your first question and you are right, it would be safer in theory but we'd also attract a lot of attention on the other side and that's the last thing we want."

I guess that made sense and I was about to agree but he wasn't finished. "When we get to the crossing point, Kayle will be waiting for us and we will travel the rest of the way with him."

Emy frowned at the mention of 'Kayle', "Good, I have a bone to pick with him." She sounded only half threatening.

"Don't be too hard on him, Emily, he was only following his mission to keep you safe." Merkell reasoned on his behalf.

She rolled her eyes but instead of arguing she changed the subject.

"How long will it take, this whole journey we're about to embark on?"

I was glad she asked that because I'd only brought enough food for a few days and we didn't have any money until payday.

"Well on this side we will get there by tomorrow night. However, on the other side it is a six day walk if my memory serves me right, and it usually does."

This didn't seem to bother him somehow and he was smiling that nostalgic smile again, probably so happy about going home. I, on the other hand was worried about food and other supplies, and I told him so. He didn't seem worried about that either.

"Oh, we will be very much alright, Cassandra. I have also packed things we will need out there and when we get into our world, I will be able to acquire more should we need it."