~ Forty ~

"SURPRISE!!"

Was all I heard when the lights blazed into life and people were surrounding me; my parents, Emy and her parents, the guys, Merkell and practically everyone who lived and worked in the house. There were streamers scattered around the walls and ceiling, strangely shaped but colourful balloons and Emy had what looked like a homemade, very shiny, party hat on her head.

"What's going on?"

I didn't know if it was shock that caused my confusion or the fact that I was still getting over the revelation that nobody was in danger.

"Happy Birthday!"

I couldn't tell who had said it as it was repeated by a few dozen people, along with some strange sayings that I wouldn't grasp until later. I must have looked bewildered because Emy found her way to me and linked her arm in mine.

"You had no idea it was your birthday today, did you?" She asked and grinned widely, she already knew the answer.

"Actually no, I didn't... how could I not know something like that?"

I hadn't been able to keep track of the date while we were here and a birthday didn't seem important in the grand scheme of things. But it still seemed like something I would just know.

"It is probably due to the changes you have gone through. Do not worry, we know how to celebrate birthdays here, or birthing days as most Nentarlians call it." My dad explained before ushering me further into the room.

We moved through the crowds and I noticed we were in what might have been a lounge area, except the room had been redecorated for the party. There were bookcases and leather-like sofas that had been pushed against the walls. I was steered towards a table that had a pile of presents on it. I raised my brow in question at those gathered around me.

There were a few confused faces but Emy was nodding at me, "Yes, they are for you and no, you can't refuse them no matter what you say."

I had been about to open my mouth to say exactly that when she beat me to it.

I rolled my eyes playfully when everyone laughed, "Thank you! All of you! I'm really grateful for all of this, I didn't even realise it was my birthday but you managed to organise this, even in the midst of what's going on?"

The atmosphere in the room died a little and I grimaced as I looked at everyone who had gathered to celebrate.

"Way to kill the mood," Kayle joked, smirking at me. "Less talking, let us show you how Nentarlians throw a party."

He grinned at me and disappeared into the crowd without any explanation.

"What does that mean exactly?" I asked.

"You will see," Kaleb replied cryptically with a wide smile plastered on his face.

I glanced at Emy but she looked as puzzled as I was. She shrugged and urged me to enjoy myself as the people in the room dispersed into smaller groups.

It didn't take long for us to find out what Kayle had meant, I was discussing the day I was born with my parents at the time. It hadn't happened in a hospital as I had originally been told but in that very house. Mal had been my mum's midwife and my dad had cried when he held me for the first time. I was just hearing how quiet I was for a baby when there was a very loud interruption.

I didn't believe what I was hearing at first but as I made my way towards the noise, it was confirmed. Music, very loud and very much live. I stood in front of a small stage that held a few people from the village, all playing instruments. One man had a guitar, a woman was playing a set of drums unlike any I had ever seen before, and another man was playing an instrument I couldn't identify. It looked like a wooden vase with numerous holes and a long neck with pegs sticking out.