~ Twenty-four ~

I couldn't hide my surprise at seeing Merkell standing there, Emy and I jumped up and we rushed over to hug him. It might have looked strange to anyone watching but the relief I felt at seeing him here in the middle of nowhere, after being rushed away from another monstrosity, was almost too much.

He wrapped an arm around the two of us and I knew he could sense our feelings. We embraced for a few seconds more before separating to look up at him. His face appeared to be fresher than the last time I'd seen him, happier and almost younger somehow. I guessed seeing his family again had renewed him, it was nice to see. But the expression that took over his face at that moment made me think it was clearly over.

"Tell me everything from the beginning, I felt the disturbance in Dumair's wards and knew what must have happened. I am glad Orion and Alacor kept to the contingency plan we agreed on."

I didn't understand some of what he said but Emy and I moved back to our chair while everyone gathered near the fire. Blaike told Merkell what had happened, he left nothing out and I learned that they'd used magic to recover the weapons and cloaks. I felt worse than useless listening to him recount it all; Emy and I had done nothing except let ourselves be moved around like chess pieces.

When Blaike finished his story with Merkell's arrival, the whole cabin was silent and Merkell was pacing the room, scratching his chin. He was clearly deep in thought and nobody wanted to disturb him, we stayed silent as we waited for his verdict.

"I must leave, I will go immediately to Dumair and help with the new protection plan. The five of you must stay here until someone comes to collect you."

Blaike and Kaleb began to protest and Kayle just frowned, I glanced at Emy and she was shaking her head.

"Something about this doesn't feel right."

"I know what you mean, I've had a weird feeling since we got here."

Emy nodded and I could tell we were on the same page, ever since we'd left the tunnel I'd had a strange feeling about this whole situation but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"What is it?" Merkell had moved over to stand in front of us, I didn't know if it was because he'd heard us or that he sensed the feeling we both shared.

"I'm not sure but something isn't adding up, why would a Horror," I shuddered as I was reminded of the grotesque creature just by saying its name. "Why would it break through the protections and then come to the house at one of the busiest times of the day? Surely they're not that stupid, so what was the point of coming and getting caught? It can't have been just to get us, otherwise it could have waited until the dead of night when nobody was milling around?"

Merkell's expression was somewhere between shock and pride, apparently he hadn't thought of that possibility and I could see the cogs turning in his mind. Everyone was silent again while Merkell thought and I could hear the wind picking up outside. I couldn't tell if it was still snowing or how much was falling. Would we get snowed in here?

"It may have realised someone would be alerted to its presence, but I think you may be onto something," Merkell said after several minutes passed. I almost thought he was talking about the snow.

"What could it be?" Emy asked.

Merkell pursed his lips and the green in his eyes was almost glowing, "I think it might have been a trap. I am not certain who it was for but if my action just now was any indication, it is possible it was for me."

"You were about to go rushing off on your own to find out what was happening and how to help, there could be an ambush waiting for you, sir." Blaike was nodding to his own words and the sense of what he said hit everyone in the room at the same time.