2. A Human among the Beasts

EDITED

Chapter two:-

"...Good, I'll get him there," Alec was grinning when Christian found him standing alone under the dark sky of the dusk, talking on his phone.

Christian was restless throughout the day. His first instinct was to go and tumble with his mate into his bed. But he couldn't. The fact that he had no control or knowledge of what was to happen drove him to the brink of insanity. His Wolf wanted his mate. To burn off this excess energy and find solace away from all the mated wolves in the Pack house that seemed to be taunting him, he wanted to go for a run in the woods.

"Alpha," Alec sounded startled when he saw his Alpha just a few steps away from him. Christian cocked his head.

"You sounded deeply involved," Christian murmured, subtly prying.

"Yes. Just a few calls about the new work you wanted to be done."

"Hold that thought. I actually came here to go for a run. Tell me about it when I get back."

"Very good, Alpha," Alec replied and walked away, thinking about however in the hell was he going to convince Christian to go with him.

To Christian, Alec sounded suspicious but he shrugged it off. He was his beta—the one person he trusted the most in the Pack; after his family, of course.

Christian took off his clothes and placed them in the hollow of the tree, the action so familiar to him; it had become a subconscious reflex.

*

Christian walked inside the Pack house about a little more than an hour later. And to his utter annoyance, he didn't feel as calm as he expected he would be after the run. He was more fidgety now with more unanswerable questions that baffled him.

The celebrations were over by now and he summoned for Alec as soon as he opened his mind link and shut it back just as soon.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," his voice was laced with exhaustion and frustration.

"Alpha, Taylor had called to inform that we have to go again to him tomorrow."

"This quick? How?"

"He wants to do it as soon as he can."

"Hmm, yeah okay. Anything else?"

"No, Alpha."

"How is the neighbouring Moon Pack holding up?"

"No news about them. I think the ceremony has now made them to commit to you."

"Very well. You can go now."

"Alpha," Alec said and made his way out.

*

Alec and Taylor shared a knowing look when the next morning Christian and Alec walked into his office.

"You called for me, Taylor?"

"Yes, mate. Let's go ahead with the plan. I have a crew that just completed their project. We can go ahead with yours now."

"Excellent."

"You called me, Brandon?"

All eyes snapped to the brunette at the door.

Not again! She thought.

"Oh, fuck," she whispered to herself but was heard clearly by the two wolves standing in the room.

"Hello, again," she politely greeted them. "Taylor, you wanted me here?"