8. Mother dearest

EDITED

Chapter eight:-

Saturday rolls in faster than anticipated and the cause of Jimmy Stone's death has still not been known. But everyone is slightly relieved that nothing serious has happened since the last two days when his body was discovered. Yet a part of him was still worried, not knowing whether or not it was contagious.

"Christian, mom was calling you," Max, his brother and third-in-command came to inform him.

"What did you do now, big brother?" Chase, his other brother teased as he shoved another spoonful of cereal inside his mouth.

Christian shot him a glare which only made his younger brother crack up more. "Where is she?" he asked turning to Max.

"In your study."

"This early in the morning," he muttered and placed his now empty bowl in sink and went in search of his mother.

"Mom, you called for me?" he said and scowled a little when he saw Veronica standing beside his mother.

"I have some important matters to discuss with you," Linda King sternly said.

"Mother, if this is about Veronica, I don't want to hear it."

"Christian, you will listen to me, and you will listen well. Veronica is a worthy woman for the Luna's position. Not just that, you have put us in a sticky situation by refusing to Mate with her in the last moment. The Rogers' are our good family friends, not to forget her father was the Beta. So explain yourself, Christian King. Tell me why can't you make her your Luna all of a sudden?" Linda scolded him.

"Mother, 'Veronica is a worthy woman to become Luna'? You and I both know that is the farthest thing from the truth. She doesn't care about anyone but the power and money she'll get by becoming my luna!—"

His mother cut him off before he could continue. "Enough! Is that the way you speak of a woman? Is that the way I have raised you and your brothers? If this is how the Alpha behaves, how will he take care of all the women in his Pack?"

Christian's hands were shaking by his side and his eyes darkened to a coal black. Veronica slowly cowered behind her prior Luna, looking at the furious look on Christian's face. But Linda stood her ground.

"I'm sorry, mother. But I hope that you trust my judgement. If not then I think it was a mistake you made me the Alpha," Christian turned to leave, too mad to care to explain himself to his mother, especially in front of Veronica Rogers.

"Christian, don't you dare leave this room!" Linda hollered.

"Why mother? It's not like you are likely to actually listen to me and trust me."

Hearing the accusation and slight hurt in his voice, she felt slightly guilty. She was his mother. If she didn't trust her own child, then how could she expect any one else to? She remembers how when he was born, she made a silent promise to herself that she would stand by and love her child no matter what. Now was the time to keep her promise.

"Walk with me," she said.

Reluctantly, he agreed.

"Not you, Veronica. I want an alone time with my son," she told to the other woman in the room and hooked her arm with her son's and didn't stop walking till they were deep into the woods, and she was sure that nobody could hear them.

"Where is dad?" he broke the silence.

"Home," she simply replied as she halted.

"At least he is not here with you to get on my arse as well" he muttered and his mother chuckled.