31. Tiara and rogues

EDITED

Chapter thirty-one:

It had been a week since Christian had asked her to move in with him and the change, though seemingly small, felt drastic to her.

Her friends had shown their excitement for her when she had told them about her new arrangement by making extremely inappropriate comments and jokes. The first weekend, it felt weird when she didn't have to go to the Wilsons' for her brunch along with Catherine but having Christian cook for her was something that was worth the loss.

She was happy to see that slowly, he had stopped living in the past and memories and was up and about as ever by the end of the week. Albeit she couldn't say the same about herself. She missed Luke and Linda terribly and felt extremely guilty and miserable every time she thought of Luke.

While she was there, she could see that Christian was stressed a lot and it made her wonder if he was always this stressed. She couldn't tell because he wouldn't tell her anything saying that he didn't want her worrying about these matters which he could handle.

She was mad at him for not letting her in but eventually learnt to respect his privacy and let it pass. All she cared about was that Christian was now doing okay.

*

Christian was ecstatic when she had said yes to him and the thrill still hadn't worn out even after the week. Yes, he still missed his mother but with the knowledge that he had his Mate who he knew would always be there for him, made him feel emotionally stronger. He realised that people were right; a Luna does strengthen her Alpha Mate and in turn, their Pack.

But even with her beside him, he felt like he had a lot on his plate and it was weighing him down. The Alphas who had agreed to form allies with his Pack had come along with a few of their Pack warriors and together, they had managed to catch two rogues in the week lurking around the boundaries but one was a lone wolf who had nothing to do with all the attacks and the other, who the Packs suspected to have been a spy, had died sustaining injuries while trying to catch him. Needless to say, they were left clueless.

From his study, he heard the door to the front being unlocked and within seconds, saw his Mate approaching him.

"Hey there," she smiled, placing her bag along with phone and keys on the coffee table in the corner.

"Hey. How was work?"

"The usual," she replied. All these days, he was too busy to even have been there when she got back from work. And even now, she could see him buried in his paperwork, spiking her curiosity.

"What are you doing?" She finally asked.

"Just some paperwork," he vaguely answered. "I have to get it done by tonight and it's almost done."

"Oh, okay." She wasn't satisfied with his answer but decided against pushing it. "I'll go freshen up and come."

It still felt different and at times, even awkward to be here. She still had a lot to get used to, she realised as she walked into their room. Now that she was finally here, she realised how unprepared she was for this step. Sighing at the tight spot that she was in, she got into the ensuite.

She was sipping on her coffee and scrolling through her phone when she felt Christian's hand on her shoulders.

"I have to go to the Packhouse. I'll be back in an hour or so," he lied.

"Okay."

Kissing her forehead, he left the place. But his anxiety didn't go missed by Tiara either who didn't know what she could do to make him feel better.