10. Mate, Witch and Seer

EDITED

Chapter ten:-

"You know, that was very rude of you back there," Tiara smiled.

"No. I was saving you from my mom's never ending chatter about me when I was younger," Christian defended himself.

"So you just pull me out of there and take me to God knows where?" Tiara asked squinting up her eyes as she looked up to face Christian.

"Yes. It was necessary," Christian defiantly said.

Tiara laughed. "Where are we going anyway?"

"Uh, I didn't really think about it when we started walking," he admitted. "But you like the trees don't you?" Christian asked remembering how she always asked to roll down the windows when they entered the area.

"Yes."

"Then I know just the place," Christian grinned.

*

"I hope you don't mind the mud," Christian commented when they reached their destination.

"Not at all." It was one of those days where Tiara was glad she didn't wear white.

"Come, then. Sit," Christian said patting the seat beside him.

Tiara followed suit and looked around in awe. Christian had led them to the middle of the woods, where they were surrounded by trees that were quite spaciously placed so that it didn't feel like they were closing in on the two of them. The sun was blazing above their heads but the shade from the trees made the heat very pleasant. The trees were so big that one of the roots had crawled its way up from the ground and had become a quite comfortable place for the two of them to sit.

"This is beautiful," Tiara breathed as she enjoyed her dose of fresh air. Christian looked at her face that was tilted upwards and smiled.

"Yes, it is."

After a few minutes had passed, Tiara's thoughts drifted to the man seated beside her. "Christian?"

"Hm?"

"Tell me more about this place?" She asked.

Christian looked at her curiously. "What do you want to know?"

"This place, I have never heard of it before," she mused.

"No... This place isn't actually... familiar to most. It's like a... small dwelling for all of us who live here. I'd actually be quite surprised if you had heard about it before," Christian chuckled thinking about the possibility.

"The people here... they seem to be very, um, close to each other, in search of a better word."

"This place—it's actually very ancient. It has its own history. See, these people here can't just come in anytime they like and settle down here. All the people who live here had their ancestors living here. We have known each and every person who lives here since we had just started to crawl and talk," Christian explained. He was actually quite happy to do so too; Tiara was slowly taking interest.

"So you guys are basically like one big family?" Tiara asked.

"I guess when you put it like that, yes."

Tiara thought about it for a minute. "It sounds homely and cordial," Tiara smiled.

"It is. We always have each other's back here," Christian proudly said.

After a beat, Tiara couldn't hold in her tongue anymore. "Christian, pardon my rudeness, but I couldn't help but notice that none of the people here wear any wedding bands," Tiara said and felt a little embarrassed for sounding so nosey.