EIGHT

EIGHT;
BROTHER

+++

THE ROOM WAS AWFULLY QUIET, not even the faint rays of sunshine could enter the small place. It was early, and cold, too much for Charlie's old self's liking. But again, he wasn't himself.

His chocolate brown eyes scanned the room with expectation, his mind was alert and everything and everyone around him was a blur. He only responded by his original name, but no one was calling for him, or that's what he thought.

"New mission." A thick voice with a strong German accent echoed the room. "I expect you to succeed like the last time, Carlos."

"I will."

The man dropped a folded on the wooden table, catching the young man's attention. His large hands reached for the yellow folder and took it in them, his eyes never looked away from the man's dark eyes that held evilness.

"Bring her back. Alive."

The man nodded shortly and left the room, slamming the door in the way. The room was silent, and Charl—Carlos didn't like that. It reminded him of his cell, and someone else, but he didn't know what or who.

He looked down at the folder and opened it with quick movements. A pair of brown eyes greeted him, they were welcoming, and too familiar for him.

"Look Charlie, say hi to your little sister!"

The young boy smiled and stood on his tip toes to have a better look of the beautiful baby in his mother's arms.

"She has brown eyes, mami. Just like me!"

Charlie was fascinated to see how tiny his new sister looked in his mom's arms. It was incredible how adorable and perfect she looked on his eyes, he wanted to poke her little nose and hold her, but the fear of hurting her forced him to just pat her head softly.

"I am going to be your hero, little sister." His small thumb caressed the baby's head. "I love you."

Carlos shook his head. It was the first time something like that happened to him. He didn't know why that girl had appeared inside his brain, but he couldn't help himself from smiling at the memory. Again, he shook his head.

In silence, he stood up from the old, mahogany chair and walked across the room to pick the rusty, old jacket clinging on the door of the hotel room. As in cue, a new deck of cards fell from the pocket and he instantly picked it up.

"Where did you find this trick, again?" Charlie asked, glaring at his sister with questioning eyes.

"I told you I saw it on the TV." The girl giggled, rapidly shuffling the cards in her little hands. "Mrs. Erickson gave me permission to watch TV." Cassie quickly explained.

"Did you finish your homework?" He questioned as she tried to make a magic trick for him.

"Of course, Charlie!" She smiled. "Now, is this your card?" The girl smirked, showing him the card he previously picked.

"You should join the circus." He teased, ruffling her brown locks.

Again, Carlos shook his head and walked out of the hotel room. He looked from left to right and confidently made his way through the busy streets of New York. The cold breeze hit his face as he made his way through the sea of people walking in the streets, his brown eyes scanned the buildings in search of the one from the picture inside the folder.

He was going to find Cassandra Harding, whether she liked it or not.

+++

The apartment was silent, empty and cold when Carlos entered. His senses were alert as he paced around the place with his hand around the gun from his jacket. He looked around, frowning at the mess and books sprawled everywhere.

The young man stepped into the kitchen in search of some sort of evidence, or presence. No one seemed to be there to greet him, but his surroundings made him stop him his tracks with confusion.

"Stop! Charlie!" Cassie giggled from his shoulder. "The house is going to burn down if you don't put me down!"

"The house is going to burn down anyway!" Charlie laughed, putting the small girl down. "Every time you cook, the fire alarm casually turns on." Cassie smiled.

"Shut up. You don't even know how to make cereal." She teased, turning around the keep preparing the dinner. "Honestly, brother, and you call yourself the older one?"

Brother. That word felt too familiar for him, too heartwarming. He tried to shake his head to erase the memories, or dreams he was seeing before his eyes. But the welcoming feeling in the pit of his stomach wasn't helping him.

He really wanted to ignore the twist in his stomach, and he also tried to ignore the several pictures hanging on the walls. He appeared in each one of them, his arm was always around the shoulders of a beautiful, young girl that looked too happy, and so did he.

"Cassie." He whispered unconsciously.