18-Magnetism

The group turned around to see their rival. "You know about this?" Luke asked

"Come on Lukas. I didn't think you were so blind. The signs are everywhere. A painting of the underground of Atlantis, and there is a temple dedicated to the Greek titan Thera."

"So? Your point?" Drew asked.

"This was built to stabilize the very thing this island sits on ." Lynch explained.

"A continental plate." Drew mumbled.

"The plate was damaged years ago before any of this was built. So the island was prone to earthquakes and volcanos. The only way the Atlanteans could control the city's fate by harnessing the power of magnetism." Lynch then explained.

"It's all about geology. The people didn't realize what their city had been built on."

"So let me guess. The Athenian warriors brought full out war to the island and accidentally activated the process. So the power of magnetism was too powerful due to being activated at the wrong time."

"When the plate moves out place, it opens up below to release pressure. The magnetic energy slips under this opening and balances the plate back into place. But when the opening is closed, the magnetic energy is so strong, due to it not having any escape and it builds up, creating the repelling effect."

"Huh?" Emily asked. "It's the effect where if two magnets are placed together and are the same positive or negative side, they push eachother away. That is the force that tears the island apart." Drew explained, now understanding.

"The hum!" Luke reminded."that must be the energy building up. So basically the process was reversed. That's what caused the cataclysm." He finished.

"Some people survived though. They went on to become priests of Sais. Priests that wanted to exploit the city only to descendants." Drew said.

"And when plato heard the story, he was inspired and wanted to leave a trail to finish the priests' unfinished work." Luke added.

One of lynch's men called to him "lynch!" He walked over in the dark corner of the room. Pieces of bone left a trail.

And there it was. The confirmation to their conclusion. Two skeletons layed side by side. One wore rusted armor and the other only several clothes. Next to the clothed skeleton, layed a small tridant. Drew bent down to the skeletons.

He looked on the cloth skeleton to see it's neck had a small rusted chain lace around it. Something was missing.

"Oh my god!" Drew said. "This is the Atlantean king. His clothes are all marked with a crown. He is the original owner of the medallion." Drew said.

"The other one must be an Athenian warrior. I bet him and the king had a little fight and the Athenian hit the button after realizing what it was capable of. The Athenians were trying to stop Atlantis from conquering the world." Drew said.

"Classic plotline." Rich joked.

"One of the surviors must have taken the medallion and lost it in the ocean when the island started falling apart."

"But what about the island? How could we have raised it?"Emily asked.

"The survivors' built a way to preserve the island in case their descendants wanted to ever find them." Lynch said.

"Wait a minute. If this thing was passed down in your family, that would mean..." emily stopped in shock.

"You're a descendant of Atlantis." Rich said.