Chapter Three

I was ill again this morning, and I kept on re-reading the hospital reference.

What if something was really wrong with me? Maybe they got the test results wrong and-

"Mari, you haven't eaten yet, it's most likely giving you a sick stomach. Here." Adrien handed me a bowl of cereal then kissed the top of my head.

"Goodbye, love you, I will be back at 6." He called as he left the door for work.

I struggled to eat the cereal, so I watched it go mushy instead.  When it became too unappealing to watch I gathered up the breakfast bowls and mugs and arranged them in the dishwasher. I hadn't told Adrien anything about going back today, so I hoped nothing was wrong with me.

My hair was in a low ponytail today, it was managable and simple, I wasn't really feeling up to spending twenty minutes trying to work out how to do a fishtail braid. I pulled on my coat and a scarf, some ugg boots and threw on my little bag I've had since I was little.

I hopped into the car and drove off to the hospital. Butterflies were flapping wildly inside my stomach when I reached the waiting room.

"Marinette?" A woman called. I stood up and followed her to a large room full of monitors, I sat down at the edge of the bed when I was instructed to. The doctors and nurses attached the monitors to me with wires and strange needles.

"Ok, Marinette, I see that you called in referring to some symptoms from the medicines?" The nurse asked.

"Yes, only the letter said to call in if vomitting occurs." I reply.

She nodded then approached the monitors. She frowned slowly, turning back to me.

"Marinette, your results are unchanged, you are perfectly healthy in the respect that you do not have cancer."

I breathed out a sigh of releif. Adrien wouldn't need to know I arrived here afterall.

"However, our machines and monitors aren't made to tell us everything, so we want to refer you to a different unit to get some tests made clear for us, then we can give you our verdict."

My trolly bed was wheeled into to a smaller room. It only had one monitor in it. A woman in a blue shirt and trousers was filling a syringe with auburn coloured liquid.

"This is only a safety precaution, to see how it effects you. You may feel drowsy." The woman said, she turned around and aimed the needle at my upper arm.

I squinted my eyes and held my breath. The sight of the needle made me feel light headed. Suddenly a sharp pain hit my arm, five minutes later I felt so tired I was struggling to keep myself from falling asleep. My head felt heavy on my shoulders and my arms and legs felt limp.

A nurse was walking around me, I could just about see what was going on, but the ceiling began to seem more interesting after a while. Finally I let myself sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"Marinette, wake up, come on." A voice urged me.

I opened my eyes slightly.

"I hope you have recovered after your nap." Another said.

I fully woke up then, bolting upright and gasping.

"What am I doing here?" I gasped again. The nurses smiled encouragingly.

"The medicine sometimes has this effect. Don't panic, your perfectly fine. You are in hospital."

I made myself aware my surroundings, this wasn't the small or the large room I was in before. There were pictures of giraffes and tigers. Pictures of a tropical rainforest crawled up the wall.

"Where am I?" I pluck up the courage to ask.

"The maternity ward. Marinette, your pregnant."