Chapter Sixteen

The light ahead of us drew nearer and nearer. Emma seemed to become more nervous the closer we got.

As we finally reached the light my eyes focused and a horrible realization hit me. I knew Adrien was thinking the same thing and I watched sadly as he took a step back and let his knees drop to the ground.

He seemed emotionless as he stared out toward the glass window where the light was sourced from.

Emma whined and buried her face into my worn clothes.

I walked forward and looked out of the window, touching the frosty glass. I could piece it together now. It made sense.

Of course Hawkmoth was Adrien's father. Mr Agreste. A man full of power and seemingly no emotion. Although ever since Adrien and I bought a house together and put our miraculouses away, we never stopped thinking about what Hawkmoth could be plotting next.

What I was looking at from the window was the whole of Paris. I could see the tops of every building and the chimneys of every house. I could even see my old bakery balcony.

Here I was, on top of Adrien's old home in Mr Agreste's office, taking it all in.

"I knew my father was stubborn and strict, but I never thought he would stretch to this point of power." Adrien whispered.

I walked to Mr Agreste's desk and pulled out the nearest drawer. A old, dusty and worn leather cased book sat  in the large space. As I went to pick it up, a page slipped from it and landed back in the drawer.

I picked it up and examed the image. A black ring and spotted earring was displayed. A plus sign had been marked in bright red in between them, the rest of the page had been torn away. I placed the book back and took the ripped page, trying to find the other half.

To my disbelief I saw a half page pinned to the wall ahead. I picked up my half and joined it with the wall half. A wild image of hawkmoth with a bunch of added abilities was drawn with the red pen.

"Adrien. Adrien?" I say. Slowly I turn and see Adrien standing motionless now. I walk over to him and touch him on the shoulder.

"Look. I think I just found what Hawkmoth wants."

"Our miraculouses, of course!" Adrien said in despair. "What kind of a life is Emma going to have now? Her own Grandad is a maniac and her parents can't even keep her safe."

Emma began to cry, it was as if she could understand us. I rock her gently.

"It's ok, baby, your safe. For now."

Adrien shood his head and turned for the staircase.

"Come on. I know the way out."

I followed him, tears pooled in my eyes. Adrien was right. We can't keep Emma safe now.

Sorry this was short. I just want you all to know I'm still updating.
And 4K already? Thank you so much for all your positive feedback, suggestions and votes! I want to try and fit in as many suggestions as possible.

I wasn't expecting this book to get this many views as I just enjoyed writing it for fun, but I can see that a lot of you really like this kind of stuff. I want to set aims for you guys and it will make me update quicker! Let's aim for 4.50K?

Thank you again!!!