Chapter Eighteen

I rolled over the face a wall. The hospital maternity ward was warm and comforting but it felt wrong.

I shouldn't be here, I have barely left the place since I had Emma. It hasn't fully entered my brain properly, pregnant? Again?

I don't feel any different, I did with Emma, but I can feel something is out of place. A nurse bustles passed my bed and opens the blinds, letting sunlight pour through into the dim room.

"Good morning, Marinette. Would you like to ready yourself before your final scan?" She asked.

I nodded and gradually sat up. The sink and toilet were in the corner of the room, concealed by a thin curtain.

My legs begin to approach the sink. I turned the tap and splashed cool water on to my rosy cheeks. Then I change into the hospital gown provided for me.

The nurse arrives five minutes later and directs me swiftly to the scanning room.

"Good morning, Marinette, please lie here. Ok, I am going to give you a quick scan then you can be on your way with your partner."

I did as I was told and waited patiently.

"Marinette, everything looks perfect."

I nodded to the doctor and sat up.

****************************
"Did everything go ok?" Adrien asked.

I nod and smile, clasping his hand and walking toward the car where Emma was strapped into her car seat. I couldn't tell him how I really felt.

The journey home was quiet, but I didn't want to talk anyway. Thankfully Adrien was silent too, along with Emma, who was snoring softly.

The car spun into the driveway and we all entered the house. I sat down in front of the television, with Emma in my arms.

"What would you like for dinner?" Adrien asked.

"I don't mind, I'm going to call Alya." I slowly walked up the stairs and laid Emma in her cot. I walked into my bedroom and collected a couple knocked over items from Hawkmoths attack.

Finally I sat down and grabbed my mobile.

"Alya? How are you?" I question when she answers the call.

"Great, so, why am I getting a call today? Is Emma ok?" Alya answered.

"Oh, Emma is fantastic. She has been sleeping well. I called because I have just got back from the hospital actually."

"Hospital? Marinette, what's going on?" Alya sounded panicked.

"Well, that's why I called. I'm pregnant."

"Then why don't you sound happy?"

"I am, I guess, I just don't feel right about it."

Distant wailing could be heard from the phone.

"Marinette, I need to go. Talk soon ok?"

Alya ended the call.

"Bye."

I laid back and stared at the ceiling. A scratching noise echoed in my head. I turned to see a shadow at the window and jumped back in shock.

The scratching continued and the shadow began whining. I tiptoed toward the window and slowly flipped the latch, letting the window swing open.

A black cat, with dark eyes and curious look sat on the window sill.

I breathed out a sigh of relief and reached out to it, letting the cat come to me. It meowed a couple times before jumping right past me and into the bathroom.

"Wait!" I gasped and quickly shut the bedroom door to stop it from escaping any further.

I lunged at it and took the bundle of fur to the bed and sat down with it.

"What are you doing by yourself?" I ask it. I'm not sure what I was expecting. It wasn't like it was going to give me an answer.

Instead it purred and flicked its tail. It turned out to be a girl, she had no collar and seemed in no rush to leave.

"You can stay here for a while. But only if Adrien's ok with it."

Our new little family member seemed to be the only positive feeling I had. For now.

Here is your update! I am terrible at remembering to update so comment if I haven't updated in a while and I will update. I said update a lot there. Thank you for the reads and votes. Its really exciting having a book that so many people seem to be enjoying!
X -K