Chapter 7. Crackdown.

The Rum Tum Tugger stood to attention at his guardian post as the large group of Jellicles returned from the trolley Olympics. He saluted Skimbleshanks as the Railway tom stalked past with a look of thunder upon his face. Skimbleshanks was one of those cats that was rarely angry, so Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer must have done something really bad this time. The calico twins were dragged along by Jennyanydots shortly by the other young toms and queens. George and Callus high fived their uncle as they skipped by and when Hariena approached, he knelt down to allow his niece to peck his cheek.

"So what have they done?" Tugger asked the kit as he pointed to the twins whom were now rubbing their sore ears. Hariena giggled from behind a paw.

"Trolley racing. It's the Olympic season, today was the singles race." The little queen explained.

Tugger nodded in understanding. "Who was in the lead?"

"Teazer, until Skimble stopped the race."

"Heaviside, no wonder he looks like someone vandalized the Midnight Mail." Tugger chuckled.

"How's my dad?" Hariena queried, her voice a little quieter now and her smile contorted to concern. The maine coon sighed and let his shoulders drop.

"As grumpy as ever. Run along now, Hari." The red, black and gold queen nodded and skipped away after her brothers and Tugger rose back to his feet to resume is post. The Jellicles had almost filtered back into the clearing by now, some looking rather glum, others still high from the adrenaline.

All ages of cats gathered in the clearing of the junkyard. Since Old Deuteronomy was not present and Munkustrap was still recovering, Alonzo up onto the tire to face the tribe. Kittens snuggled close to their mothers, elders stood protective of the younger toms and queens, Guardians returned from their posts and added themselves to the assembly. Alonzo had a grave expression painted upon his face, the spectators of the trolley olympics believed they were about to receive the lecture of a lifetime. Oh how wrong they were.

"Macavity has returned." Alonzo announced, his statement was met with a tsunami of gasps and cries. Demeter's face remained cold and determined, not a flicker of fear was present. "He is responsible for our protector's injuries." There was an uneasy pause, an uncomfortable silence swept across the whole tribe. "So to prevent any further violence and damage to our tribe, Old Deuteronomy has been contacted and will arrive tonight. We must protect our beloved leader. I will step up as second in command until Munkus, uh, Munkustrap's injuries are fully healed. Now before I go on, Lady Demeter has something to say..." Alonzo trailed off as his eye caught the motion of the queen rising rather abruptly. She stalked away from her little brood of kittens and clambered onto the tire. Only the adults and elders really had a clue as to what the black and gold queen was about to propose, however she stood before the Jellicles without fear or nerves wracking her mind for once in her life.

"It is a time we put a stop to Macavity's terror. Myself and Bombalurina are going to go after him, and we will return whether we be beaten and verging on death, I can assure you...Macavity will will be worse off. I do not force any of you to join us, but if you do...know the risks, be prepared to kill." Viciously, she spat. The young kittens flinched at the queen's tone, they had every right to. She was out for revenge, not just for Munkustrap, but for herself.

The Jellicles exchanged numerous apprehensive glances and whispered nervously to one another. The first to stand was Caligo, her dark, slender body stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of brighter cats. "I'll go." She hissed with as much venom as Deme. The queen on the tire smiled triumphantly and extended a paw out to the once stranger cat. The queen stepped away from her place beside Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer before gliding up the makeshift steps to the tire. She stood proudly alongside Demeter.

Tingles of power presented itself at Mistoffelees' paws. This was his perfect opportunity to use his magic for a good cause and strip the Mystery cat of his own unusual power. "I too will go." Misto meowed brightly as he sprung up. Tugger glanced up at the magical tom in dismay, he was small for a tom and if his powers disarmed like before, he would be rendered defenceless. Feeling an urge of adrenaline and something new, the notorious Rum Tum Tugger hopped up beside Mistoffelees.

"Count me in." Misto gave the Tugger questioning look but the tom brushed it off. "For Munk." He nodded, face serious as he noted his older brother. Demeter's expression softened slightly at the mention of her mate but as she recalled the severity of his injures and the countless sleepless nights of pain, her rage resurfaced.

Etcetera was practically bouncing in her spot beside one of her brothers, Tumblebrutus. Every now and then he'd glance down at her and wondered who had given her sugar.

"I'm gonna join." Cettie whispered eagerly, her eyes gleamed at the prospect of an adventure outside the confinements of the yard.

"No. Don't you dare." Tumble meowed flatly.

"But it would be so fun!" She squealed.

"Ma would kill you."

"Tumble, don't be such a stick in the mud!" At that moment, Jellylorum leaned forward and swiped her daughter around the ear.

"Don't be rude to your brother, you're not going." And that was the end of that.

Back up at the tire, the small but determined group of Jellicles stood broadly before the tribe. "We leave in three days, if anyone else wishes to join us please, let us know." Demeter ended with a short curtesy before leaping off of the spot to rejoin her sister. The new 'troops' returned to their seats and began to whisper quietly to their querying peers. Alonzo made his way back onto the tire once more, a smile now present on his muzzle.

"Tonight we can relax and celebrate the return of our benevolent leader, relax for the time being and treat tonight as a...mini ball!" With that the Jellicles disbanded in higher spirits. The black and gold queen crawled back to the nursery to lay beside her mate. She gave a soft fond grin at his sleeping figure. One paw was laid on his fluffy chest, just above where the blanket was drawn to, his grey ears were flat but relaxed and his breathing was a relieving sound to the queen. Carefully, she lifted the blanket and and eased in beside Munkustrap. As her head nestled upon his shoulder he awoke with a slight start.

"Oh, hello love." He croaked sleepily. Her grin widened as she manoeuvred closer and let her mouth fall to his. Honestly, the kiss took Munkustrap by surprise, it was desperate but in a lustful way yet it had passion mixed in. After a minute or so she pulled back and let her head drop back to his shoulder. Demeter let her paw twine with his that was rested upon his chest.

"I love you." Contently, Deme mumbled. Munkustrap smiled and nuzzled his chin to her head.

"I love you too."