Chapter 8. Old Deuteronomy's return.

Nothing drives a parent more mental than their child running excited circles around them. 

"Sit down Zelda, please." Victoria hummed as her daughter sprinted her tenth lap. 

"You won't have any energy for dancing at this rate." Plato reminded. But the little princess couldn't possibly sit down, this was her first Jellicle dance, she had not yet attended the annual ball so this was the perfect time to perform to the cats of the tribe. Moving away from her parents, Zelda twirled over to George, Callus and Hariena whom were warming up for later on. 

"I am so excited!" The near white kitten chirped as she continuously pirouetted. 

"We gathered." Callus grinned. "I think we should start off this party with a bang! Zel, you and Georgie-boy can start by doing some fancy p-pas de..." 

"Pas de deux." Hariena corrected. 

"Right, thanks. So you two do that then Hari, you can have your solo then BAM! I come in and wow the crowd with that dance I've been working on." Callus buzzed in enthusiasm as he proposed their plan, the other kittens agreed eagerly and huddled closer to discuss it further. 

*

Mungojerrie fidgeted around on the spot with unease. Nearby, Teazer was playing tic-tac-toe with Pouncival, their occasional outbursts of glee continuously startled the male calico, he had only one thing on his mind...adventure. 

"Teazer-butt." Jerrie meowed once he had snapped out of his trance, he glanced over at his sister and grinned. 

"Yeah, Jez?" She responded monotonously, not taking her eyes off of the game. 

"I'm goin' tah find Demetah." 

"Wat? Why?" The female spun around with genuine concern plastered to her face. 

"I want tah join tha' group thingy, y'know, get outta here an' 'ave an adventure. I'm bored 'ere."

Teazer's brows furrow and the ghost of a smile she had on her lips faded. "But wat about me? We always 'ave fun." 

"You 'ave a mate now, you an' 'e 'ave fun now, besides I would't want ol' grumpy guts to come in 'ere an' hurt ya." Mungojerrie sighed. Before Rumpleteazer could protest further, Jerrie got up and bounded away to find the queen in charge of the expedition. 

"But I don't want grumpy guts to hurt you!" Teazer cried after him but she was too late, he had rolled into the elder's den. 

*

Clinging onto Demeter and Jellylorum's arms, Munkustrap managed to limp out of the nursery to sit upon the side of the tire with his family to enjoy the dancing, there was plenty of space left on the perch for when Old Deuteronomy was to arrive. The Jellicles arranged themselves comfortably around the yard, some of the young toms and queens huddled upon the old oven top or just on the inside in a pile of pillows and blankets. Jenny, Skimble, Jelly and Asparagus took their usual place on the trunk of the automobile and beneath there was an arrangement of adults. There was a moment of tranquility across the junkyard until it was plunged into darkness, encouraging gasps all around the yard but then, out of the quietness of the night a thrillingly magical orchestra boomed out of no where which was followed by a series of twinkling lights. The tune did not end, however, it trailed into something softer and sweeter. A rosy tint laid across the yard as the young princess Zelda fluttered out onto the 'stage'.

She had adopted a persona much like a human ballerina, her movements were controlled yet fluid, a natural performer just like her mother. Raising onto the tips of her toes, she pattered around in a circle, elegantly flapping her arms. She halted for a moment and raised a leg into an arabesque position before continuing on. Following after, George pranced out with his arms extended and his gait was regal. Zelda completed her final circuit and waited in the center for her partner.