Chapter 12. Asparagus sings.

Easing down onto a collection of pillows in the nursery, Cassandra held her breath as Jellylorum pressed a paw to the Burmese queen's abdomen. For a few moments the Healer maneuvered her paw back and forth and scrunched her eyes shut in concentration.

"Well?" Nervously, Cassandra hummed. Jelly continued in silence for a moment and then nodded her head in confirmation.

"Yep, a little kitten!" She announced brightly. Groaning, Cassandra tilted her head back and clapped a paw to her forehead. "Um...everything OK dearie?" Jelly questioned hesitantly.

"How did this happen? I wasn't even in season! Am I OK? Yes? No? I don't know!" The Burmese babbled. Kneeling down, Jellylorum patted a paw to the younger queen's shoulder in comfort.

"Calm down, Cassie. Having a kitten for the first time can be a daunting experience, but I can assure you they Jenny and I will help you through this, teach you everything you need to know."

Cassandra managed a small smile and nodded. "Thank you Jelly, but how am I going to tell Admetus? He acts like a kitten himself half of the time, and he's older than me!" Jelly couldn't help but chuckle, Cassandra was right about Admetus, he could be as playful as a kit and was rarely seen serious.

"But he has a heart of gold and I have no doubt that he will make an excellent father." The Healer reassured. The Burmese agreed, she was lucky enough to have one of the kindest toms as her mate, he loves her for who she is, he hold her when she needs it, cares for her no matter what...

"Again, thank you Jelly." The smile on Cassandra's muzzle grew wider. "I'm sure he'll be thrilled!" Once the pregnant queen had risen to her feet, she gave the Healer an thankful embrace before gliding out of the nursery. Jelly looked out just to see Jennyanydots, the main midwife of the tribe, arriving.

"Sometimes I really don't get how those two work." Jelly sighed.

"They balance each other out." Jenny meowed simply with a bright smile.

What Cassandra couldn't quite figure out was why Tantomile was so intrigued with her unborn kitten.

*

The adult and elders den was peaceful as usual, Munkustrap laid curled up in a ball enjoying the comfortable silence, well that was until his three kittens charged in...bickering as usual. The three offspring of Demeter and Munkustrap were quickly approaching the peak of adolescence, meaning it wouldn't be long until George and Callus became adult toms and Hariena would graduate from princess to queen, Munkus wasn't going to lie, he was a tad bit afraid to see his daughter reach maturity. Over the past four nearly five years of the kit's lives, their personalities had certainly developed immensely. George was so much like Munkustrap, he was protective over everyone, no matter what their history was, he was kind yet firm and was mature for his age. Callus...well he was very different to his brother, in fact he was much like the Rum Tum Tugger- looks, not so much anymore but definitely attitude wise. Callus loved to be in the spot light, whether it was to show off his new style of dancing, displaying a new accessory he had 'found' or simply causing trouble, Callus would make sure there was an audience. Hariena was and would always be Munkustrap's little princess. From the moment he set eyes on his gentle and sweet daughter he knew that she would grow up to be as beautiful and as caring as her mother. What he didn't expect was a streak of Aunt Bombalurina to arise from within. Yes that's right, Hariena could be every inch as flirtatious as Bomba, in fact Munkus had seen it himself, one evening before a gathering he had caught her trying to flirt with a very uncomfortable looking and much older Tumblebrutus. Well the silver tabby made sure Demeter gave the princess as stern talking to.